starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to Push the Prowler

Default How to Push the Prowler

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    by Mark Rippetoe

The how and why of pushing the prowler for conditioning.

Watch video

Question for the SSC's: the EliteFTS econo-Prowler

Prowler: Old School E-Series Prowler

is about $70 more than Rogue's Echo Dog Sled,

http://www.roguefitness.com/rogue-echo-dog-sled

and Rogue will ship it free if you buy two more items.

I know Rip says buy the EliteFTS. Is there a benefit to having three short skis versus the Rogue's continuous dual ski design? Seems like the Rogue would have greater friction.

Quote Originally Posted by stef View Post
    by Mark Rippetoe

The how and why of pushing the prowler for conditioning.

Watch video
    Interesting. I'll try it this way next time.

Last night I did it the more horizontal way, after a week out of the gym due to a hand injury, and today my lower back was stiff. Maybe it was that spine compression?

I've been alternating Prowler round trips with assistance work on bench and press days. So I'll do a set of chin-up grip lat pulldowns, then a set of dumbbell presses or dumbbell bench presses, then a prowler round trip, then catch my breath for a moment, chalk up my hands, and do another set of lat pulldowns, and so on.

I had not considered the achilles tendon dangers of the on-the-toes technique. Thanks for the tip.

Quote Originally Posted by wfd426 View Post

http://www.roguefitness.com/rogue-echo-dog-sled

I know Rip says buy the EliteFTS. Is there a benefit to having three short skis versus the Rogue's continuous dual ski design? Seems like the Rogue would have greater friction.
    I would think the three short skis would work better on uneven ground. The friction is because of the coefficient of friction between the sled and the ground time the weight on it. The coefficient of friction doesn't change with the length of the skis.

Quote Originally Posted by pmccloud View Post
    I would think the three short skis would work better on uneven ground. The friction is because of the coefficient of friction between the sled and the ground time the weight on it. The coefficient of friction doesn't change with the length of the skis.
    The basic friction model requires two uniform contact surfaces to hold. (No variation in contact pressure) Additionally the 'polishing' effect reducing the coefficient of friction over multiple passes also applies.

I would therefore assume the 3 ski design would have a different loading profile and that over multiple passes of the same terrain it should be "heavier".

This difference would be exacerbated when pushing on surfaces with sinkage... grass, turf, sand, dirt etc

Coach. What about pulling the prowler? My sled has hook for TRX cables

Pulling? Then it's not a prowler. It's a sled.

starting strength coach development program
    I am resurrecting this old thread as I'm having some issues with a new set of "prowlers" (they are not prowlers) my gym has bought and some of these comments are pretty relevant.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Harrison View Post

Rogue Echo Dog Sled | Rogue Fitness

For whatever it is worth, it appears the ones that were bought are the Rogue Echo Sled, and they simply cannot be pushed in the way Rip recommends. Or at least they cannot on the cheap turf that has been laid down for them to be used on. Even when unloaded, pushing from that upright position immediately tips the nose forward. I have never had this problem with an actual prowler, but I concede the issue may be just as much due to the surface it has to be used on.

Quote Originally Posted by Calvin View Post
    I had not considered the Achilles tendon dangers of the on-the-toes technique. Thanks for the tip.
    Due to what I described above, the first couple of times I used this Echo Sled I resorted to using the lower position Rip argues against...it was the only way to get it moving. By the end of the second session I was experiencing a sensation in my lower calf/Achilles that made it clear that continuing like this was a path to a bad injury. That is what prompted me to come looking for this video.

So I guess my question is whether anyone has solved this problem? I tried figuring out how to load it so the nose was preferentially weighted down, but I dont see a way of doing that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast