How to Push the Prowler How to Push the Prowler

starting strength gym
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: How to Push the Prowler

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,441

    Default How to Push the Prowler

    by Mark Rippetoe

    The how and why of pushing the prowler for conditioning.

    Watch video

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    9

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    9

    Default

    Question for the SSC's: the EliteFTS econo-Prowler

    Prowler: Old School E-Series Prowler

    is about $70 more than Rogue's Echo Dog Sled,

    http://www.roguefitness.com/rogue-echo-dog-sled

    and Rogue will ship it free if you buy two more items.

    I know Rip says buy the EliteFTS. Is there a benefit to having three short skis versus the Rogue's continuous dual ski design? Seems like the Rogue would have greater friction.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    1,629

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stef View Post
    by Mark Rippetoe

    The how and why of pushing the prowler for conditioning.

    Watch video
    Interesting. I'll try it this way next time.

    Last night I did it the more horizontal way, after a week out of the gym due to a hand injury, and today my lower back was stiff. Maybe it was that spine compression?

    I've been alternating Prowler round trips with assistance work on bench and press days. So I'll do a set of chin-up grip lat pulldowns, then a set of dumbbell presses or dumbbell bench presses, then a prowler round trip, then catch my breath for a moment, chalk up my hands, and do another set of lat pulldowns, and so on.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Los Estados Unidos
    Posts
    286

    Default

    I had not considered the achilles tendon dangers of the on-the-toes technique. Thanks for the tip.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wfd426 View Post
    Question for the SSC's: the EliteFTS econo-Prowler

    Prowler: Old School E-Series Prowler

    is about $70 more than Rogue's Echo Dog Sled,

    http://www.roguefitness.com/rogue-echo-dog-sled

    and Rogue will ship it free if you buy two more items.

    I know Rip says buy the EliteFTS. Is there a benefit to having three short skis versus the Rogue's continuous dual ski design? Seems like the Rogue would have greater friction.
    I would think the three short skis would work better on uneven ground. The friction is because of the coefficient of friction between the sled and the ground time the weight on it. The coefficient of friction doesn't change with the length of the skis.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    GTA, Canada
    Posts
    420

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pmccloud View Post
    I would think the three short skis would work better on uneven ground. The friction is because of the coefficient of friction between the sled and the ground time the weight on it. The coefficient of friction doesn't change with the length of the skis.
    The basic friction model requires two uniform contact surfaces to hold. (No variation in contact pressure) Additionally the 'polishing' effect reducing the coefficient of friction over multiple passes also applies.

    I would therefore assume the 3 ski design would have a different loading profile and that over multiple passes of the same terrain it should be "heavier".

    This difference would be exacerbated when pushing on surfaces with sinkage... grass, turf, sand, dirt etc

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    25

    Default

    Coach. What about pulling the prowler? My sled has hook for TRX cables

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    38,416

    Default

    Pulling? Then it's not a prowler. It's a sled.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •