starting strength gym

Thread: In Defense of Simplicity

Default In Defense of Simplicity

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    by Bill Been

​As you travel around the online fitness world, or even if you collect more serious discussions in actual published books, it's hard to avoid the conclusion that there's a very strong tendency to complicate things. Numbers of exercises, set and rep schemes, Rate of Perceived Exertion, periodization schemes, therapy babble, "performance gyms" (so Elite!) muddled definitions, the list goes on. It doesn't require a habitually cynical nature to suspect there's a good bit of Bovine Feces being shoveled here.

Read article

Default Unique and Special

Quote Originally Posted by stef View Post
    by Bill Been

​As you travel around the online fitness world, or even if you collect more serious discussions in actual published books, it's hard to avoid the conclusion that there's a very strong tendency to complicate things. Numbers of exercises, set and rep schemes, Rate of Perceived Exertion, periodization schemes, therapy babble, "performance gyms" (so Elite!) muddled definitions, the list goes on. It doesn't require a habitually cynical nature to suspect there's a good bit of Bovine Feces being shoveled here.

Read article
    Remember that you are unique and special -- just like everyone else!

I see so many people hitting the gym looking for that one magic bullet to take care of all their problems. Thirty minutes of squats is hard work but let some idiot proclaim all you need is fifteen minutes of juggling kettlebells while standing one legged on a bosu ball gives you instant abs/thigh-gap/fat-loss and I'll have to start wearing a hard hat for workouts.

On a totally unrelated note, does any one know where and how you can get your hands on the shoes in the picture or a similar leather traditional weightlifting shoe?

They are not currently available. We're working on it.

Good article.

I can relate to the state of the the industry in my (thus far failed) attempt to find a local trainer/coach. No SSCs, so vetting others.

I open with wanting to learn technique for the four lifts, nothing more. I don't want programming or nutrition. In return, I don't expect the nonSSC to take responsibility for making me stronger - that's my job.

Most know damn well that they can't do it, and won't call back.

Then, there are the others. They might have black iron gyms and weightlifting teams. Clearly, they can get people strong, and they know the lifts.

But will they put you under a barbell, tell you what you are doing wrong and how to fix it? Well, no. Maybe they could if they tried, but if you have form issues with a main lifts, you have to follow their long and expensive progression before doing them. Do good mornings to learn to brace your core, pretzels for shoulder mobility, knee strengthening body weight exercises so your knees don't have. You'll have spent months before finally getting to squat. I'm patient, but not that patient. They say putting you under an empty 45lb barbell would just be irresponsible.

Others won't help you unless they take over your program. Calf raises, incline bench, arm curls... I don't have 3 hours to spend in the gym.

I haven't given up, and have two good leads on folks that say they can do it. We'll see.

In the meantime, I'm going to take a vacation day to see Coach Schudt in Chicago.

-->Adam

You will not find a coach that knows the lifts the way we teach them who is not an SSC or an apprentice to an SSC. I'm sorry, but read what they say about our approach and tell me if you're likely to get what you want out of their coaching. I agree: Take a day and go see Karl.

Such a great article.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    You will not find a coach that knows the lifts the way we teach them who is not an SSC or an apprentice
    You may be right, but I'm a stubborn git and will keep trying. Realistically, I can only get out to see Coach Schudt 3-4x/year tops. I'd like a local I can see more frequently, even if I have to critically analyze their advice.

2 good leads. One trainer does SS himself, but doesn't generally make it part of his customers programs. The other is a no-fuss "sports performance" coach for high school athletes. I like the direct approach, but I may be too far out of his normal demographic for him to work with me well.

-->Adam

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    They are not currently available. We're working on it.
    Sounds good.