starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Position USA Shoes

Default Position USA Shoes

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024

I'm looking into buying my first weightlifting shoes. I just started with barbell training, so I would need some advice. Is the 1 inch heel (2.54 cm) going to be too much? What does Mark Rippetoe recommend in terms of heel height, and would a beginner do okay with these? They look damn nice and I want something comfortable and stable. Don't we all?

Anybody try these before?

The website says: "Having a slightly higher effective heel height the average (appx. .75"), lifters could see the benefits of a more comfortable lift, better positioning and proper alignment. If you have mobility issues in your ankles, hips or shoulders, a higher heel height could help provide a better bar path and catch position."

The heel is also made of high density wood.

https://positionusa.com/collections/...nt=22754544517
    Last edited by cshadyp; 08-05-2017 at 07:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mgilchrest View Post
    Too much heel for a general purpose lifting shoe. 3/4" is even too much in many cases. 1/2" or less is probably what's best for a typical S/B/D person with normal bones.
    # starting length 1"

Looks like Rip recommends 1/2 inch shoe height.
    Last edited by cshadyp; 08-05-2017 at 08:49 PM.

I mean, Ripp seems to like .5" best as a start, but he has said as long as you don't exceed 1", it is up to personal preference.

More importantly... don't. Position shoes are, well, a noble effort. I think they have ideas that are interesting. But quality isn't quite there. In particular, their shoes, in my experience, just lack real support. The flared base, although hypothetically neat, doesn't seem to do much extra. And apparently the lack of quality control from being handmade means many of their shoes have shown to break down in some way or other.

Who knows, I suspect Position at least will continue to think on their shoes to the point they legitimately are good in all aspects. But for now, if you want a high heel shoe, you should go reebok legacy (.85" effective), adidas leistung (1"), or possibly Antas (I know I once reviewed them here and said they were a standard .75", but later evidence and further reflection is getting me to think they may in fact be 1" as well.)

Quote Originally Posted by Daverin View Post
    I mean, Ripp seems to like .5" best as a start, but he has said as long as you don't exceed 1", it is up to personal preference.

More importantly... don't. Position shoes are, well, a noble effort. I think they have ideas that are interesting. But quality isn't quite there. In particular, their shoes, in my experience, just lack real support. The flared base, although hypothetically neat, doesn't seem to do much extra. And apparently the lack of quality control from being handmade means many of their shoes have shown to break down in some way or other.

Who knows, I suspect Position at least will continue to think on their shoes to the point they legitimately are good in all aspects. But for now, if you want a high heel shoe, you should go reebok legacy (.85" effective), adidas leistung (1"), or possibly Antas (I know I once reviewed them here and said they were a standard .75", but later evidence and further reflection is getting me to think they may in fact be 1" as well.)
    Thanks, Daverin. That was a very thoughtful answer. I decided to forgo the Positions, and go instead with another shoe. The higher heel height doesn't matter to me. I simply liked the beauty of those Position shoes.

I hear great things about Adipowers. Not sure about the Nike Romaleos 3s. I hear different things about the new ones (some like it, others prefer the 2s). I hear good things about Rogue's Do-Wins, but I don't like their return policy .. you have to pay for shipping back to the facility if the shoes don't fit you correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by cshadyp View Post

I'm looking into buying my first weightlifting shoes. I just started with barbell training, so I would need some advice. Is the 1 inch heel (2.54 cm) going to be too much? What does Mark Rippetoe recommend in terms of heel height, and would a beginner do okay with these? They look damn nice and I want something comfortable and stable. Don't we all?

Anybody try these before?

The website says: "Having a slightly higher effective heel height the average (appx. .75"), lifters could see the benefits of a more comfortable lift, better positioning and proper alignment. If you have mobility issues in your ankles, hips or shoulders, a higher heel height could help provide a better bar path and catch position."

The heel is also made of high density wood.

https://positionusa.com/collections/...nt=22754544517
    where I've lurked and roamed around . . . these have gotten bad reviews.

Would go with the more mainstream brands.

You very most likely don't need that much heel lift

Quote Originally Posted by MBasic View Post
    where I've lurked and roamed around . . . these have gotten bad reviews.

Would go with the more mainstream brands.

You very most likely don't need that much heel lift
    No no no, you guys don’t know what you’re talking about.

I lift in the Position blue suede shoes, they work great, sturdy as hell. They’re made out of leather and wood. What are The big brand shoes made out of? Plastic and plastic.

Plus, the Position logo is an image of Heracles.
    What’s Nike/adidas/Reebok’s logos? Some shapes? Ha!

Anyone that would recommend you buy one of the big brand weightlifting shoes over the Position has no style.

Here is the link to Rip's article concerning shoes: Shoes | Mark Rippetoe.

From prodding around their website, the R1 model has a net heel height of a half inch, which is more suitable for nearly everyone training to become strong. Anytime that you can buy a product stateside is usually enough incentive to give it a try. I am not going to ditch my Romaleos to buy these, but I would buy the R1s over the other options if I needed a new pair. Then again, hopefully the SS weightlifting boot will be introduced to the market sooner rather than later, so we do not have to concern ourselves with these petty differences over what is the best product.

I'm also torn on buying these. I need better shoes but the reviews are either great or awful. I do want a half inch heal and I haven't seen any besides these.

starting strength coach development program
    I am very happy with my DoWins I bought from Rogue, especially as they're about the only lifting shoe that will accept my 4D width. Quality is excellent as is the $95 price.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast