starting strength gym

Thread: Squat Form Check @ 320

Default Squat Form Check @ 320

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024

Narrow your stance and let your knees come further forward early in the movement. There are a number of other things I cannot see from a front oblique, as per the sticky.

Hi Tom, thanks for the tips! I tried to implement what you said, and I filmed from the back.

330 Squats (3x5) - YouTube

Both my earlier cues still apply. Also, keep your chin down and take your chest with you on the ascent. Right now your hips slide back out of the hole and you lose your back angle a little more than I would like to see. How tall are you, by the way?

Thanks, I will try to get my legs closer. Yeah, I do feel like my chest comes up too late—almost like I am bent over. Not sure how to fix the hips sliding back.

I am 6'7" but my wingspan is about 6'10". My legs are extra long, so probably more like the legs of a 6'10" guy. Not sure if this may change your recommendations.

Quote Originally Posted by csapaugh View Post
    Yeah, I do feel like my chest comes up too late—almost like I am bent over. Not sure how to fix the hips sliding back.
    These two things are related. Work on driving your butt up instead of back. Don't let your knees go back quite as much as you begin the ascent.

I am 6'7" but my wingspan is about 6'10". My legs are extra long, so probably more like the legs of a 6'10" guy. Not sure if this may change your recommendations.
    Not really. I thought you were immensely tall from the video and that proved to be correct. One interesting thing with regard to tall people is that you move the barbell a much greater distance. This probably doesn't matter much as a novice, but it may be something to keep in mind as you keep track of how you respond to training as an intermediate. 5x5 squats at 350 lbs may be quite different stimuli for a dude who is 5'7" vs a dude who is 6'7".

Hey thanks a lot for the help, Tom. I will work on your suggestions.

I do think it won't be long until I move on to intermediate, so I will keep your suggestions in mind. Perhaps the high volume day on squats wouldn't be ideal for someone my height.

I do think it won't be long until I move on to intermediate, so I will keep your suggestions in mind. Perhaps the high volume day on squats wouldn't be ideal for someone my height.
    Well, there is some dosage of volume that is necessary for improvement. However, doing more work against gravity is doing more work against gravity.

Hi Tom, thanks for the tips! I tried to implement what you said, and I filmed from the back.

330 Squats (3x5) - YouTube
    Dat old school Linkin Park, though 🤘🏻. RIP, Chester...

starting strength coach development program
    Was never a big Linkin Park fan, but I was saddened to hear about their singer. Chris Cornell genuinely bummed me out.