starting strength gym

Thread: Walk me through your breathing during deadlifts.

Default Walk me through your breathing during deadlifts.

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    This is feeling awkward for me. Am I supposed to hold me breath all the way up and back down? Then take a deep breath or two at the bottom before next rep. My mind wants me to exhale at the top and inhale on the way down.

Quote Originally Posted by JLB105 View Post
    ...Am I supposed to hold me breath all the way up and back down? ....
    Yes. Breathe when the weight is in the floor. Don't breathe while loaded.

Your mind is wrong.

I go through getting mostly in position, exhale, DEEP inhale, pull out bar and plate slack, lock valsalva down, pull, lockout, lower (mostly by letting gravity do the work with bar in hand) and exhaling once the bar passes my knees or on touchdown. I've tried holding breath the whole way and I still exhale when I'm on the last reps.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne_KONG_Wint View Post
    This.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne_KONG_Wint View Post
    This is the correct way to do it. For myself, and I probably wouldn't train someone else to do this, it is easier for me to breathe at the top. I catch a large breath on top and then bring the bar down to the exact position I need to pull from. I do fully deload the bar on the bottom (stop and go), but I don't hang out there too long. This just always worked better for me, especially on hard sets, where being bent over in the bottom usually increases my chances of feeling sick. For heavy singles, of course I breathe on the bottom and then hold my breath until I put the weight back down.

Quote Originally Posted by Callador View Post
    This is the correct way to do it. For myself, and I probably wouldn't train someone else to do this, it is easier for me to breathe at the top. I catch a large breath on top and then bring the bar down to the exact position I need to pull from. I do fully deload the bar on the bottom (stop and go), but I don't hang out there too long. This just always worked better for me, especially on hard sets, where being bent over in the bottom usually increases my chances of feeling sick. For heavy singles, of course I breathe on the bottom and then hold my breath until I put the weight back down.
    Have you tried straightening your legs, while still holding the bar and being otherwise in position, to take a deep breathe at the bottom?

Just chiming in here because I get neurotic sometimes...
    Thanks for not making fun of me guys. I know everyone saw it and didn't say anything. This thing keeps topic keeps popping up on my participated feed and now, I just need to correct myself....

I didn't mean "in the floor". I meant "on the floor". Breathe when the weight is ON the floor.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by George Christiansen View Post
    Have you tried straightening your legs, while still holding the bar and being otherwise in position, to take a deep breathe at the bottom?
    Yes I have. That makes my torso even more horizontal while I am taking a breath. When I am trying to do high reps mainly, it really upsets my stomach. I almost puked a little today doing it my way. Had I taken the extra time between reps, I think I would have puked for sure. :-)