starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How much is this B&R 32006 bar worth?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I was just playing around with the bar a little today and i noticed that on one side of the sleeve, there is something sliding back and forth.
    Is this normal? I assume it isn't.

Quote Originally Posted by pbk3jg0 View Post
    I was just playing around with the bar a little today and i noticed that on one side of the sleeve, there is something sliding back and forth.
    Is this normal? I assume it isn't.
    That is the bushing sliding around in there. Alas, that is somewhat normal for those bars. It may not impact your usage of the bar. You could get in touch with York to have them repair it, but good luck with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Campitelli View Post
    That is the bushing sliding around in there. Alas, that is somewhat normal for those bars. It may not impact your usage of the bar. You could get in touch with York to have them repair it, but good luck with that.
    That is rather disappointing, but I guess such is the game with buying old used exercise equipment at 50% retail.

Is York usually not good with repairing? I'm sure it'd be a major PITA to ship a 20kg bar.

They made me wait a really long time to get my bar back. It was something like 12 to 16 weeks, if I remember correctly. I had a tube to ship the bar, but shipping was around $80 to get from CA to PA. Since I bought the bar from Rogue, Rogue served as the go-between for York and me. It was painful. Rogue went above and beyond for me, however. After seeing how much trouble I was having with York, Rogue shipped me another B&R bar on their own dime despite the fact it was out of warranty and it was York's problem, not Rogue's. That is one of many reasons I lurvs Rogue. The second B&R they shipped me never developed this problem. After a while the old B&R bar arrived at the gym and was repaired. I bought one bar and wound up with a second for free.

The good news is that you can have a loose bushing in the sleeve and the bar can be completely operable. If the thing will not spin properly because of the loose bushing, then I might get it repaired. If it spins to your satisfaction, just enjoy it. The new B&R bars made by Rogue have a much better sleeve construction.

Quote Originally Posted by Root View Post
    Aren't B&R bars very un-whippy?
    29 mm bars generally don't whip very much. Then again, bar whip probably isn't noticeable on a 28 mm bar until you have more than 120 kg on there, either.

My B&R bar has had a sliding bushing on one end for a few years now and I haven't noticed any problems, other than the slide noise it makes when moving it out of the rack.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric220 View Post
    My B&R bar has had a sliding bushing on one end for a few years now and I haven't noticed any problems, other than the slide noise it makes when moving it out of the rack.
    Yeah, this is a problem with a lot of York bushing bars, not just the B&R. Much of the time, it is not problematic, but it still kind of sucks. Just one more reason that Rogue is stomping them into the muck of irrelevancy.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric220 View Post
    How far does it slide do you think?
    Mine clicks rather fast so the slide may not be that long after all.

Still very disappointing though.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by pbk3jg0 View Post
    How far does it slide do you think?
    Mine clicks rather fast so the slide may not be that long after all.

Still very disappointing though.
    It sounds like nearly the length of the sleeve. When it's tipped up it sounds kind of like one of those slide whistles from the fair, and it doesn't always happen. I don't think you should worry about it, unless you need an excuse to buy that TPB, then you should worry very much about it. The sliding bushing did not stop me from buying a second B&R that came up on Craigslist a few years ago.
    I agree with you and Tom, it sucks that York doesn't/hasen't fixed this. I did not know that it was a common York problem until Tom posted. But I think Rouge is making the B&R bar, and the only other bare steel barbells, now so I guess the problem has gotten fixed; as there are no new York bars that I want. Hopefully, this common flaw will become more exposed and negatively effect the re-sale value of old York bars down in the Seattle Tacoma used barbell market (pretty clever.)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12