starting strength gym

Thread: Rib area hurting slightly

Default Rib area hurting slightly

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I had my rib fractured randomly before during training once before and since yesterday, the same area has been bothering me.
    It doesn't hurt enough to make me think that it's a fracture (last time it was fractured, the pain was rather unbearable).

How long should I wait until I resume training or go see a doctor?

Where do you put your belt?

When all you have is a hammer everything looks like a nail...

I coach high school rowing and rib fractures and a common injury in our sport. They begin as a general soreness in the ribs experienced for multiple workouts. These are ignored by athletes until the acute pain of a fracture occurs. Therefore, I have diagnosed your innocent sore spot as a incoming rib fracture and unnecessarily spun you off into the land of fear and doubt. Happy to assist.

IF you were one of my athlete's, I'd have you not do any pulling until the soreness subsided as I'd rather have you do other training for a few workouts than lose you for an extended period.

I too usually have some sore ribs after most workouts. I just attributed this to my belt and the lifts done that day. Deadlift and Press seem to correlate to the days I have some rib pain. Sometimes it is just barely sore, other days my intercostal (muscles in between my ribs) will spasm and I've had a few cramps. I just figured it's belt related as it is usually gone by the next workout.