starting strength gym

Thread: Dynamic Effort - When, who and how

Default Dynamic Effort - When, who and how

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I can see the end of my LP coming soon-ish and have taken an increased interest in studying intermediate programming, planning for my next step. While reading Practical Programming I came across the section on dynamic effort training, and some questions arose. I would like to know, from the experience of SSCs:

1) What has been your experience on progress using DE (on yourselves or on clients)? It seems like something hard to coach, let alone evaluate by yourself.

2) Is there a particular population that benefits more from DE? Powerlifters, weightlifters, football athletes, etc?

3) I certainly will not use DE on the very beginning of my intermediate phase, but should I consider it eventually if my goal is general strength, and not performance in any particular sport or event (which I assume is also the goal of most of your clients)?

Thanks for your time.

I have never used dynamic effort with anyone in my years of coaching. We'll see if others chime in.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Cavallari View Post
    I can see the end of my LP coming soon-ish and have taken an increased interest in studying intermediate programming, planning for my next step. While reading Practical Programming I came across the section on dynamic effort training, and some questions arose. I would like to know, from the experience of SSCs:

1) What has been your experience on progress using DE (on yourselves or on clients)? It seems like something hard to coach, let alone evaluate by yourself.

2) Is there a particular population that benefits more from DE? Powerlifters, weightlifters, football athletes, etc?

3) I certainly will not use DE on the very beginning of my intermediate phase, but should I consider it eventually if my goal is general strength, and not performance in any particular sport or event (which I assume is also the goal of most of your clients)?

Thanks for your time.
    1) The movement needs to be coached, but the speed is volitional and ultimately of little "real" importance provided the weight is not moved intentionally slow. The reason why DE works is because of the volume.

2) People short on time or those who have very limited recovery resources who will not train with low enough intensity when introducing additional volume.

3) I wouldn't unless #2.

Overall, you could make a case for DE when people need more volume for the lifts. They get more practice this way at an intensity that is not terribly taxing, though the abbreviated rest periods tend to produce a higher amount of fatigue than what would be seen in a more traditional rep and set scheme.

I use DE more for older folks and those getting ready for a meet (for practice) than anyone else.