starting strength gym

Thread: SS 7 Month Progress... and beyond!

Default SS 7 Month Progress... and beyond!

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I've had some great progress over the past half year, and thought I'd share it with you all!

First a few caveats... I had several setbacks over this time, including 20 stitches in my leg (snowboard accident) where I couldn't do any leg work for over a month, shoulder/elbow injuries, illnesses, etc... But for the most part, I got my 3 workouts in per week. Additionally, I am a runner and continued to run less than 5-10 miles per week just to keep a base (i realize that's not doing the program, go ahead and crucify me). Also, I suck at PCs and will probably find a coach in town sooner or later... I didn't really follow any special diet, just made sure to eat enough for recovery.

Now for the result.
    My first workout was 2/2/2017, and my final workout was 9/24/2017. I also tested my 1RMs on 9/28 and 10/1.
    (all weights are in pounds)
    • Sex: M
    • Height: 5'9"
    • Starting Weight: 165
    • Final Weight: 182
    • Starting Squat: 150 3x5
    • Final Squat: 255 3x5
    • Squat 1RM: 295
    • Starting Bench: 100 3x5
    • Final Bench: 187.5 3x5
    • Bench1RM: 215
    • Starting OHP: 65 3x5
    • Final OHP: 125 3x5
    • OHP1RM: 150
    • Starting Deadlift: 200 3x5
    • Final Deadlift: 330 3x5
    • Deadlift 1RM: 360
    • Starting Power clean: 45 5x3
    • Final Power clean: 143 5x3
    • Power clean 1RM: 154

Going forward:
    I'm going to focus back on running for the next 12-16 weeks; 4 weeks building a running base, ~10-12 race specific training. I want to get a 5k PR (sub 19min) around December, and thinking about trying to PR a half-marathon (sub 1:40:00) shortly after in January. I am still going to lift heavy, but drop to 2 days/week with the standard SS A/B program and see how that goes. I'm hoping to at least maintain as much strength as possible. I'm very interested in seeing how the added strength will affect my running times.

Sorry for the formatting, here's a better list of results:
    • Sex: M
    • Height: 5'9"

• Starting Weight: 165
    • Final Weight: 182

• Starting Squat: 150 3x5
    • Final Squat: 255 3x5
    • Squat 1RM: 295

• Starting Bench: 100 3x5
    • Final Bench: 187.5 3x5
    • Bench1RM: 215

• Starting OHP: 65 3x5
    • Final OHP: 125 3x5
    • OHP1RM: 150

• Starting Deadlift: 200 3x5
    • Final Deadlift: 330 3x5
    • Deadlift 1RM: 360

• Starting Power clean: 45 5x3
    • Final Power clean: 143 5x3
    • Power clean 1RM: 154

What are your times before and after?

I think you developed a nice strength base and for sure will be one of the strongest of the 5K and long distance runners. It'll be interesting to see if/how strength training helps you. One suggestion I would have is that if you're going to do the SS A/B in season, I would do your presses something like 4 sets of 5 for bench and 1 set of 5 for overhead press, then alternate. This will keep you from going a full week without doing the "opposite" press.

Quote Originally Posted by simplesimon View Post
    What are your times before and after?
    I'm not sure! Right now I'm extremely slow, as I haven't been doing anything running specific for almost 7 months (just 1 or 2 very slow runs every week or two). I'll be testing my running times in December after 3 months of race training, while trying to maintain as strength as possible.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by OZ-USF-UFGator View Post
    I think you developed a nice strength base and for sure will be one of the strongest of the 5K and long distance runners. It'll be interesting to see if/how strength training helps you. One suggestion I would have is that if you're going to do the SS A/B in season, I would do your presses something like 4 sets of 5 for bench and 1 set of 5 for overhead press, then alternate. This will keep you from going a full week without doing the "opposite" press.
    I'm not quite sure if I follow... Are you saying Monday ("A day") I do 4x5 bench AND 1x5 OHP, then Thursday ("B day") 4x5 OHP and 1x5 bench?