starting strength gym

Thread: Cutting the fat after NLP

Default Cutting the fat after NLP

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I posted this question in Jordan's nutrition forum a couple of weeks ago and got no response. I figured I would try posting it here. If this counts as asking a question multiple times then I'm sorry and I'll wait for Jordan to respond to the original post, but like i said its been a while now. OK here we go!

24 yrs old. I Currently weigh 300-305lbs at 30% bf. I'm running out the advanced stages of my LP which I started in May this year. I started out at around 250lbs and 22% bf(4-5 years of bro lifting makes me not quite "untrained" but still able to make novice strength gains). I'm currently intaking 5000 cal and 250-300 g of protein a day.

My weights have progressed as follows:
    SQ: 265-370x3x5
    DL: 295-400x1x5
    BP: 205-260x3x5
    OP: 105-167.5x3x5

I've decided I want to keep gaining weight until the end of the year. After that I want to cut some fat while maintaining/slightly increasing strength. I hope to do some conditioning to help with weight, athleticism, and to get an injured knee back in shape.( squatting and PCs have helped the knee a lot already but I want to be able to play basketball again for fun and i think some conditioning could help get the knee back to 100%).

So I'm asking what type of program/nutrition is appropriate for someone with my goals? i.e. someone who has gained weight on his novice progression, soon to start intermediate programming, and wants to get lean. I would like to get to around 15% bf but the number isnt the important thing to me, just that I look better and don't walk around like an elephant, all with the caveat that I can maintain/increase strength.

I have no doubt that I'll be starting intermediate programming before the new year begins. So what will allow me to best transition to a Cut in january?
    I'm considering the bridge because the RPE could allow me to account for bad recovery from a decrease in calories. Speaking of calories, 5000 a day makes me feel like puking so when the cut starts I'm thinking I'll drop to 4500, 4000, 3500, etc. until I'm in the right spot, all while maintaining 250-300g of protein a day. What do you think?

D,

I don't think you need to worry about gaining any more weight unless you are 6'9". If you are 300 lbs at 30%, it is time to stop actively putting on weight and get a little leaner. The good news is that coming down from 300 lbs will be neither painful nor terribly difficult. It won't cut into progress too much, either. Here is what I would do from a dietary perspective: if eating 5K calories feels bad, stop. Your ideas for keeping protein at a good number while dialing back calories is wise. As of right now, I would consider eating to satiety, or slightly below and just keep lifting. How tall are you, by the way?

At 24, the world is your oyster from a programmatic perspective. The Bridge, Texas Method, Heavy Light Medium, and Split Routine are all fair game. If you go to the TM, Split, or HLM, you'll probably want to reset the weight a bit to give yourself a running start. Many people die early on the TM by starting too heavy. For the TM or the split that have a volume/intensity component, set your intensity "5RM" on the squat at 15 pounds below where you tapped out on your 3x5s. Then, calculate your volume fives at 90% of that. It will provide a nice, smooth transition into it. Your first couple of weeks will feel pretty good. Don't tell Jordan, but I have not yet read The Bridge. It is on my list. Also don't tell Jordan, but the TM can be a great program. I got one of my trainees to the IPF Masters World Championships on a 3-day TM program. It can work well. A number of people are really digging The Bridge, too. Successes on HLM and the split are easy to find. Ahhh, so many options. What do you want to do? How much time do you want to spend training? The TM requires quite a while in the gym when things get heavy. They all kind of require a lot of time in the gym after a while. Welcome to the Land of the Intermediates™.

Have you read Jordan's To Be A Beast article? If not, do so. It has a lot of good information in it.