starting strength gym

Thread: Squat form check - 225lbs 10/14/17

Default Squat form check - 225lbs 10/14/17

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Tom,
    I believe these look better than my first form check at 180lbs. You told me to work on depth and to look at floor in front of me.

This is my 3rd set of 5 at 225lbs.
    I’m 6’1” 255lbs.

Looking at these I feel like I need to go another inch or so lower (you told me 6” last time). I feel like maybe the 5th and final rep was proper depth? Do you agree? I also worked on staying tighter, although I probably need to work on that. Also for some reason I feel the bar move an inch or so on my left hand. Not sure what’s causing that. It happens at least once every session.

Thanks for your time!!! It is greatly valued and appreciated. I’m in Boston, no SSC’s near me :-(.

YouTube

All of those were still quite high. Some of them by several inches. Go deeper, my friend. Take some weight off the bar. Descend a little more quickly. Go deeper. Don't hang out at the bottom. Keep your chin down on the ascent.

Tom, i apology if I shouldn’t be posting another video in this thread. I think I’ve finally figured out (or come close) this whole squat thing! I hope you agree. Here is my 3rd set tonight at 225lbs. I dropped the weight from Monday’s 245lbs per your instruction, so I could work on my new form and getting lower. You will also see I’m using TUBOW as I discovered that my knees were going much further past my toes than my minds eye saw. Thanks for everything! I’m working hard to get this right.

YouTube

Better, but most, if not all, of those are still above parallel. Go deeper. Stay in the middle of your foot and drive your ass up. You still want to lift your chest. If your toes are out at 45 degrees, bring them back to 30 degrees.

Tom quick (maybe stupid) question. From what you see, do you think an in person SSC visitor would correct my form fairly quickly and easily? Do you think I could get my form “fixed” with a weekend seminar?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by JLB105 View Post
    Tom quick (maybe stupid) question. From what you see, do you think an in person SSC visitor would correct my form fairly quickly and easily? Do you think I could get my form “fixed” with a weekend seminar?
    I managed to miss this. Given that your squat isn't that bad, I would bet that a single coaching session would get you below parallel and clean the small, remaining issues up. Probably the same for attending a seminar. How good are you at making those cues stick for the next time you lift?