Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Squat form Check

Default Squat form Check

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi coach,

Here is a video of my last squat : YouTube

I feel like I'm hitting depth after widening my stance and breaking earlier at my knees, but what about lumbar flexion?

Quote Originally Posted by eustass92 View Post
    but what about lumbar flexion?
    Unfortunately, it does indeed appear to be present. Have you read the relevant section in the book and watched the low back video?

Yes I have. I've had some good help in a previous form check thread (closed by now) and it helped me to "delay" lumbar flexion, but it's still there at depth, whatever the load is.
    I can even say that it's present in the stretch in the bottom position mentionned in the book. It's actually even worse at depth without any load or with the empty bar.

I know it's definitely not how anyone should be squatting, but with a slight elevation of my heels lumbar flexion doesn't appear.. How can I get there without this cheat?

Are you saying a heel elevation beyond the level of heel lift in your shoes, like standing your heels on plates, eliminates the problem? Just trying to make sure I understand.
    Regardless, this is something you can and most definitely SHOULD learn to do. Teaching it remotely, however, is quite difficult.

Yes that's exactly what I'm saying, standing on plates eliminates the problem. I figured I need to let my knees more forward in the first 1/3 of the descent but my ankle mobility was already at its best.

I live in Belgium, Europe. There is a SSC in Germany, Sean Herbison, that lives around 4 hours from my place, he's not available at the moment but hopefully some day I can make myself available one full day to get there. Do you think he can help me fix my form?
    In the meantime, other than "trying harder", should I stop in the descent before my lumbar flexion appears? Which would make it parallel. To keep on with my LP ?

It's extremely unlikely that you NEED a higher heel to fix this. You probably just need to learn to control your low back better: To get your big breath in, to brace properly with your abs and use your lumbar erectors to HOLD position (not change position), and then hold that as you lean over from the waist only, not rounding any of the vertebral segments along the way. Maybe a slightly higher heel would make it easier by giving you a more close knee angle and more open hip angle (less lean) at the bottom, but I doubt that you simply can't do it with a .6 inch heel. That would be highly unusual.

I hear you loud and clear.
    Nevertheless, I can't help but think I'm out of room or something to stay neutral deep enough. I have terrible mobility even without any load, I cannot go below parallel without turning to lumbar flexion eventhough my only concern is those lumbar erectors staying in tension all the way.
    I can keep a flat back in my deadlift with heavy (relative to me) load but not in the deep squat.
    Anyway, I realize that's the only cue I should focus on right now and try harder and will come back in a few sessions with hopefully slight improvement in the video.
    Please don't close the thread just yet.
    Thanks!

There's always the slim possibility of seeing something new, but after seeing lots of people with this issue, I think it's more likely a lack of low back control than a mobility issue. I would like to see this vaunted set of deadlifts wherein you keep a perfectly flat, extended, rigid low back.

I will upload this deadlift ASAP for your feedback, couldn't get quality video last deadlift session.
    I'm still working on the squat : lumbar flexion doesn't look to appear that much but don't think I'm hitting depth anyway..
    YouTube

starting strength coach development program
    Yes, I want to see that DL video.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast