starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rogue HG Bumpers much wider than Echos?

Default Rogue HG Bumpers much wider than Echos?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I am reviewing my options between the HG Bumpers and the Echo Bumpers. The descriptions claim they both have the same warranty, same bounce, and seem to be the same other than artwork and size. The HGs claim to be "thinner than a lot of comparable bumpers" but the Rogue description shows the 45lb plate is 3.25 inches; the Echo 45lb plate is significantly thinner at 2.4 inches. Knowing that the Echo is a more affordable option, I figured I missed something so I emailed Rogue, to which they responded:

"The main differences will be in the cosmetics of the bumpers. The HG Bumpers will have a shinier, glossy black look, while the Echo Bumpers will carry a flatter, matte black look. The two Bumpers also have different embroideries for the plate weight."

They didn't comment on the width of the bumpers but I feel like I am reading a mistake when the description of the HGs tout how thin they are yet the cheaper Echos are significantly thinner. It seems most people go ahead and buy the HGs. Does anyone have experience with the Echos? Is a 45 pound plate really only 2.4 inches wide? Because that makes the decision seem pretty easy if the HG's "benefit" is the glossy look.

Thanks!

The Echos are thinner. And the black Echos are thinner than the more expensive color version. Seems crazy, but I've emailed them about it, too. Apparently the HG are considered more durable, but for home use the Echos are an easy choice.

According to this post, the Echo's are slightly wider.

https://startingstrength.com/resourc...tml#post942908

This isn't the first time Rogue's stated a measurement incorrectly. I remember reading here that they listed certain metal plates as 450mm in diameter when they really weren't. I see now that their machined plates list something other than 450mm for their 45's so they've either corrected that or it was a different product...would have to look around.

You could always get the Echo's and see how wide they really are. If they're a lot thinner then great, if not then you can bitch to Rogue.

I bought a few Echo 10s to add to my competition bumper set and they were slightly larger than 450mm diameter. Very noticeable when loaded for deadlifts. Hope they fixed that. I sent them back and got some HGs. I'm pretty pleased with the HGs.

Quote Originally Posted by thejosef View Post
    I bought a few Echo 10s to add to my competition bumper set and they were slightly larger than 450mm diameter. Very noticeable when loaded for deadlifts. Hope they fixed that. I sent them back and got some HGs. I'm pretty pleased with the HGs.
    Wow. That's odd. I have a rogue echo set purchased last year. The 10 lb plates are slightly less than 450mm in diameter, ostensibly to protect the plate from tacoing on a dropped snatch or clean when loaded with a more durable (thicker) plate such as a 25. Having 10lb plates larger than 450mm would make them far less durable - esp for deadlift as they would bear most of the weight. Maybe you got a bad set. The rogue echo specs are here.

I like the echos I have, but have little to compare them against. I don't do many cleans or snatches any longer, so they end up as mostly dead weight on a bar. But I have a couple of boys that may take up training in the future. The only downside is that its hard to tell the 10s and 15s apart sometime since the lettering is not painted and the plate thickness is similar - I workout in a dark basement where its sometime hard to read the lettering (made this mistake a few times). Maybe one day I'll paint the numbers on the plates or mark them somehow.
    Other than that, they're great.

At least with Rogue, they'll accept a return if you're not happy. Unlike other manufacturers such as Troy (I recall reading a nightmare thread about them in the past).

Quote Originally Posted by irongeek View Post
    Wow. That's odd. I have a rogue echo set purchased last year. The 10 lb plates are slightly less than 450mm in diameter, ostensibly to protect the plate from tacoing on a dropped snatch or clean when loaded with a more durable (thicker) plate such as a 25. Having 10lb plates larger than 450mm would make them far less durable - esp for deadlift as they would bear most of the weight. Maybe you got a bad set. The rogue echo specs are here.

I like the echos I have, but have little to compare them against. I don't do many cleans or snatches any longer, so they end up as mostly dead weight on a bar. But I have a couple of boys that may take up training in the future. The only downside is that its hard to tell the 10s and 15s apart sometime since the lettering is not painted and the plate thickness is similar - I workout in a dark basement where its sometime hard to read the lettering (made this mistake a few times). Maybe one day I'll paint the numbers on the plates or mark them somehow.
    Other than that, they're great.

At least with Rogue, they'll accept a return if you're not happy. Unlike other manufacturers such as Troy (I recall reading a nightmare thread about them in the past).
    Good, looks like they got that ironed out then. I bought a couple pair of Echo 10s right when they released but it sounds like they fixed the issue. I really liked them as far as the finish.

If they are thinner for the same weight, I'm assuming the density is different and something is compromised? So then whats the conclusion on these?

I'm planning on buying stuff for a home gym soon and I've been a bit lost on which weights to buy (not just out of these 2 selections), so this thread comes at a good time.

I am probably going to wait for Black Friday and buy an entire garage gym. As of now I will be purchasing the Echos. As mentioned above, the Echos are listed as much thinner and the only other difference is the design. If the specs turns out to be incorrect, then I can point that out to Rogue. Either way (HGs or Echos), it seems Rogue's plates are very competitively priced.

If you look at the pictures of the echos and HGs where it visually shows the thickness dimensions you will notice that the echos are beveled and the measurement seems to be at this narrower part.

I just enlarged that page to 300% and it indeed looks like that they are measuring that narrower edge not the full width. At this magnification you can see that the HGs are also beveled but significantly less so.

Rouge should really measure the plate thickness where it counts which of course is the thickest thickness

starting strength coach development program
    I have a set of rogue echo 45's that I bought about 8 months ago, they are quite certainly less than 2.5" wide at the widest part. by my stanley measuring tape, they are pretty close to 2 5/16". I was also interested in the color echo bumpers but was pretty put off by how wide they are (at least as advertised)

Quote Originally Posted by quaw View Post
    If you look at the pictures of the echos and HGs where it visually shows the thickness dimensions you will notice that the echos are beveled and the measurement seems to be at this narrower part.

I just enlarged that page to 300% and it indeed looks like that they are measuring that narrower edge not the full width. At this magnification you can see that the HGs are also beveled but significantly less so.

Rouge should really measure the plate thickness where it counts which of course is the thickest thickness

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast