starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift form check (10-25-17)

Default Deadlift form check (10-25-17)

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hey coaches,

First post for me on here. Ill do my best to comply. Also, thanks for all of the valuable info and resources you guys provide.

I was having trouble with my deadlift and reread The Deadlift: Perfect Every Time. Amazing how much better the lift felt than my previous session. I feel like my form improved, but any tips or critiques would be greatly appreciated. (I have a squat video too that prob needs more help but Ill hold off... 1 at a time)

Deadlift: 295 x 5

Link: Deadlift - 295lbs (10/25/17) on Vimeo

Hopefully the shadows arent a distraction (lighting in the garage is sparse)

Thanks,

Kevin

Additional Info:
    Name: Kevin
    H: 5 10
    W: 181

Squats: 270 x 5
    Deadlift: 295 x 5
    Bench: 195 x 5
    Press: 115 x 5

Calories: 3000+
    Protein: 200 - 225
    Carbs: 300+
    Fat: <100

Can you re-upload your video in a format that allows us to expand it, scroll forward or back, etc.. like YouTube? It's very small, and however you uploaded it isn't conducive to getting a good form check.

Sorry about that. It worked on my end... maybe issue with a mobile link or something? Anyway I uploaded to YouTube my latest deadlift.

Any tips would be very much appreciated. Hope it works better this time

YouTube

You know I'm a Bears fan, right?

Alright, trying to move on...

Are you familiar with and trying to deadlift in accordance with our 5 step "perfect every time" instructions? I can't tell whether you are, and need some specific help, or if you aren't familiar and we need to start from scratch here.

If not, read this: Deadlift starting Position Critique

And then watch this:

Yes! I read it when I got stuck and it helped immediately. Basically I’m just trying to get feed back on form since this is the first time I’ve posted in the forum...Make sure I’m on the right track. It’s kinda like my golf swing, i know what it SHOULD look like, but it doesn’t look like it should.

I probably need more help on my Squats but didn’t want to jump the gun and send out multiple videos. If the deadlift looks ok any tips on my Squats???

YouTube

P.S. - I’m actually a Ravens fan. Father in law is packers fan (free shirt).

Oh and as always thanks for taking the time to help us

OK, deadlift first - definitely some work to do there first. One lift at a time.

1. Focus on keeping your own weight over mid-foot the entire time. This means you need to keep the bar touching your legs the whole way up, and then at the top, too - stay controlled so the bar is in contact with your legs over midfoot the whole time.

2. Stop dropping your hips right before you pull. Just squeeze your back flat and pull it from that position.

3. Find a spot 10-15 ft in front of you on the floor to stare at. Don't look up and lift your chest immediately. Look forward and slightly down, and drive your feet into the floor so your knees extend first thing.

Thanks! Gonna give this a go tonight.

Here’s my latest deadlift. Had to deload 10% due to illness. Sleep and nutrition are better now and feel mostly recovered.

Anyway, I tried to implement ur tips and upon review I feel like I did a better job with keeping the bar mid foot and in contact. Also stopped dropping hips, but I definitely didn’t look down... Bad habit I have with DL and squats.

YouTube

Side note: l added power cleans. I was DL 3x a week for awhile there. Would u suggest DL 2x a week and Poweclean mid week or alternate? I feel like 1 deadlift a week isn’t enough...

Thanks again,
    Kevin

Your deadlifts look pretty good except for rep 3. You have a tendency to pull around your knees and wait too long to get your knees extended. By the time the bar is at the knee, your legs should be close to straight, if not perfectly so. I would also lose the straps and yourself some lifting shoes.
    Last edited by Michael Wolf; 11-25-2017 at 09:51 AM. Reason: Comrades: good at seizing the means of production, not as good at the spellings

starting strength coach development program
    Thanks Tom. I’ll give it a go tomorrow.