starting strength gym

Thread: Squat form check

Default Squat form check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi, I've been doing the program for about 45 days, started at a bodyweight of ~65 kg (~143 lb) and now I'm at ~76 kg (~167 lb). I'm 24 years old, 1.73 m (5'8.1").

I'm making progress in the other lifts but not with the squat, it feels harder than it should be, for this reason I would appreciate some feedback on my squat.

The video is my first set at 72.5 kg (159.8 lb), I failed at the last rep of the second set.

YouTube

My current stats:
    Squat: 70 kg (153.3 lb) 3x5
    Bench press: 45 kg (99.2 lb) 3x5
    Overhead press: 33.5 kg (73.85 lb) 3x5
    Deadlift: 87.5 kg (192.9 lb) 1x5

Make your stance a little wider. Reach back with your butt and lean over more. You are too upright now. Descend a little faster. Your reps there varied quite a bit from one another. One would be really slow and the subsequent one would be faster. Leaning over more will make it easier for you to utilize the hip musculature better and going a little faster on the descent (without relaxing) will also help you handle more weight. Lastly, make up your mind to really push against the bar. The weight is trying to win. Don't let it. Show gravity who is boss.

Thanks for the reply,
    here is the video of my last training session:
    70 kg (~156 lb), third set of 5
    YouTube

What do you think now about my squat?
    Thanks for your time and help.

You overdid the width correction. Make your feet a touch narrower. Not back to where you were, but not as wide as you are now. Roughly shoulder width. The rest of my comments still apply. Lean over. Descend faster. Don't lift your chest. Instead, initiate the squat from the hips.

Thanks for the answer Tom,
    The problem is I'm not able to fully understand by watching my videos if the back angle or the knees position is right.
    I read the book and searched for it in the forum, but it remains unclear to me, any tips?

Anyway, I'll keep working hard on trying to correct the mistakes you pointed out.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveP View Post
    Thanks for the answer Tom,
    The problem is I'm not able to fully understand by watching my videos if the back angle or the knees position is right.
    I read the book and searched for it in the forum, but it remains unclear to me, any tips?

Anyway, I'll keep working hard on trying to correct the mistakes you pointed out.
    You are in Italy, or else I would say, "See a coach." We'll do what we can remotely. For now, don't worry about angles. Just worry about trying to make the corrections I recommend and post a video back here when you think you have implemented them.