Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adapting the program to my gym and kilos

Default Adapting the program to my gym and kilos

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hello
    I am starting the program and am running into a bit of a problem
    The smallest weight at my gym is 2.5kg which would make me do jumps of 5kg every time
    Would you rather have me go 5kg by 5kg or add 2.5 to only ONE side of the bar ? As the weight gets higher the difference may be insignificant

Thank you in advance for your help

You really, really need a better gym. Linear progression, especially on the upper body movements, is not possible for any serious length of time on 5kg jumps. If you don't have the equipment, you simply can't do the program. However, DO NOT load up one side of the bar differently than the other so the bar is unevenly loaded. That would be foolhardy indeed, Ser Shay of House Big Jumps. Even more foolish than when Mickey tried to outduel the giant in a round of fisticuffs.

Last edited by Michael Wolf; 11-10-2017 at 05:46 PM.

A pair of Rogue's 1.25kg olympic plates cost 10 Euros. Assuming the OP has that much cash or in equivalent currency that would seem to be the obvious answer? Other brands are available...!

So obvious that I assume he is simply unwilling to do so.

On the adapting to gyms topic, soon I will be moving so I will have to start working out at a commercial gym. Until now I have been training in my home gym and got to the point where I am progressing by 1lbs on my upper body lifts.
    My question is: Considering the difference between the nominal weight and real weight on non-calibrated plates and since I will not be able to use calibrated ones, or always use the same plates like I have been doing in my home gym, will my 1lbs progress have to stop? What is the proper solution in this case? Should I find a way to mark the plates so I can always use the same ones or switch program? (I will bring my own microplates of course)

Marking the plates is ideal, but:

a) they're not your property, which presents a legal/ethical issue that's probably beyond the scope of what we do here, though given the wear and tear that plates go through in their normal use in a gym, you may be able to mark them in a way that doesn't ruin their functionality at all and could be mistaken for a marking they'd get in their normal use, which might be OK.
    b) The ones you marked may be in use when you need them.

There's no perfectly good solution, though many people aren't pressing heavy enough weights for this to be a major issue. If you're using a bunch of 10s and 5s, it's unlikely there will be a big difference from plate to plate, though I admit I am not sure about this. And it's also possible that even those small differences would add up to where a 1lb increase is meaningless if there's an average of a 1/4 lb difference between 3 sets of 10s and a set of 5s.

Tough situation, though in practice I have found microloading to still often work at globo gyms. Maybe for reasons more mental than physical (placebo)? I don't know.

Best advice I read somewhere around here - load up using as many plates as possible (2x10 and a 5 instead of 1x25, for eg.)
    Odds are that the the inaccuracies will more or less balance themselves out that way, with some being heavier and some lighter than nominal.

I don't know if that is actually true with such a small sample size.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wolf View Post
    So obvious that I assume he is simply unwilling to do so.
    I wasn't aware that the public could buy those
    I just bought a pari of 1.5kg on amazon

starting strength coach development program
    You can buy entire sets of kilo fractional plates. I suggest doing so. A pair of 1.5 kg is still a 3kg jump. That's better than a 5kg, but still far too big for bench and press before long, and pushing it even for squat and DL, too.

I am not sure where you are located, but Rogue is a good place to start: https://www.roguefitness.com/weightl...ctional-plates

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast