starting strength gym

Thread: Time to Advanced Novice or HLM?

Default Time to Advanced Novice or HLM?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi, Coaches.

I had been resting for my back pain(It's like chronicle. My back and neck are fine on MRI so I don't know why.) since last year. I started this program again in 9th, September. I did 22th workout today(16th, November).

I'm 30 years old, 5'8", 155lbs.

September to November:
    My weight 143bs -> 155lbs

Deadlift 154lbs -> 223lbs
    Squat 110lbs -> 200lbs
    Bench Press 80lbs -> 125lbs
    Power Clean 80lbs -> 110lbs
    Press 66lbs -> 95lbs

I feel I can't recover enough nowadays and I failed Squat 2 times at 200lbs and Press. So I did just Light weights today(155lbs).

Sleeping 6~8 hours for work. Trying to eat more.
    Additionally, I have checked my form several times.

Am I doing right? Can I move to Advanced Novice or HLM?
    And please consider my back. My back is still not good and I'm sitting all day for work.

Quote Originally Posted by CHKang View Post

Trying to eat more.
    You have done well to gain 12 pounds over the last few months, but you're still severely underweight. Take some advice from Yoda: "Do, or do not. There is no try." Don't try to eat more. Actually eat more. Not just at one meal, and then claim "I eat SO MUCH" like every other underweight person I've tried to help has done. You need to eat more, every meal, every day. Even if you have bad genetics for strength, if you're not severely diseased, there is no reason why your squat should stall out at 200 lbs. Your sleep seems adequate. Make sure you're resting enough between sets (5 min minimum), take 5 lb jumps, not 10, and EAT MORE. 175-200g protein a day, and 2500 total calories, maybe 3000 on training days. Make yourself do it, don't "try."

Quote Originally Posted by CHKang
    Am I doing right? Can I move to Advanced Novice or HLM?
    And please consider my back. My back is still not good and I'm sitting all day for work.
    Advanced Novice, maybe. Give that a try. But not HLM. Not at 200 lbs on your squat and 225 on your DL. Eat more. Rest at least 5 mins between sets, 7-8 if you need it.

I can't speak to your back problem as you haven't given any information about it, other than it doesn't show up on your MRI. If it is hurting acutely as a result of lifting, then you either need to fix your form or, if that's not the issue, wait till it's not hurting acutely anymore. Who checked your form? Us?
    Last edited by Michael Wolf; 11-16-2017 at 10:47 AM.

I will follow Yoda sensei’s discipline, Mr.Wolf. There is no try.

I have checked my form from Tom or you last year. And Tom told me my form was fine. My back pain is not from this training I assume. I started this training to get better from the pain because I hadn’t find another good treatment. Doctors here(I’m in Korea) say like “Your back is okay. MRI is telling you”.

I was consuming 140g of protein a day. I will increase this to 170g like you said. And 3000 calories.

I was resting 3 mins between sets. I’ll do at least 5 mins.

And I’ll do an Advanced Novice program. I won’t try.

Thank you for your answer! It means a lot to me.

Yes, you definitely need more protein and more rest between sets. I bet those two things alone will help a lot.

When should I add Chin-ups for resting for pulling? Like A: Deadlift/PC, B: Chin-ups.

My current schedule is A: Deadlift, B: PC.

starting strength coach development program
    Do deadlifts Monday, chins Wednesday, cleans Friday.