starting strength gym

Thread: Squat form check

Default Squat form check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I'd be very grateful if someone could take a look at my squat and let me know how I'm doing:

Here is what I think I need to improve (please let me know if I'm wrong):
    * My feet aren't quite wide enough. I seem to have trouble internalising how wide shoulder-width actually is.
    * I'm not quite hitting depth. The first rep is definitely too high, the others are better but still a bit too high.
    * Stop hissing – breathe out once I reach the top.

In addition, I have a problem for which reading the book and searching the web hasn't helped, which I think is caused by squatting. Apologies if this would be better suited to another thread, but I thought it worth mentioning here in case my hands are placed incorrectly on the bar.
    The soft, squishy part at the base of the thumb aches in both my hands. I can exaggerate it by poking it with my finger, stretching my fingers away from my palms as much as possible, or by compressing the hand to be as thin as possible, such as when I put my hand inside a pint glass when washing up. My wrists feel fine, it's just the base of my thumbs. It's more pronounced in my dominant (right) hand.

Yeah, your stance is much too narrow. Get it out to shoulder width. Stop dive bombing your squats. Go down more slowly and under better control. Both of these will help you get deeper, since most of those are high. Also, chin down, look down. Not sure about your thumb, however.

Thanks for taking the time to analyse and reply, Tom.

You are welcome.