starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Plates under heels when squatting

Default Plates under heels when squatting

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I've seen people put 5 lb plates under their heels when they squat. Why do people do that? Is it dangerous?

Quote Originally Posted by 3sweeties View Post
    Why do people do that?
    Because those people don't care enough about their training to buy proper weightlifting shoes.

Ah....what lady said she was trying to target her quads....that didn't really make any sense to me.

Quote Originally Posted by 3sweeties View Post
    Ah....what lady said she was trying to target her quads....that didn't really make any sense to me.
    Like Adam said, the plates sort of raise your heel like shoe. That will put a little more stress on the quads. Most people I see using the plates are doing front squats. Having a heeled shoe is nice for doing that lift. When it comes to regular squats, some people like a heel and others like to squat in flat shoes. The downside to the plates is that they could slip, and that could get ugly.

Quote Originally Posted by Callador View Post
    Like Adam said, the plates sort of raise your heel like shoe. That will put a little more stress on the quads. Most people I see using the plates are doing front squats. Having a heeled shoe is nice for doing that lift. When it comes to regular squats, some people like a heel and others like to squat in flat shoes. The downside to the plates is that they could slip, and that could get ugly.
    Even if the plates stay still, trying to step backwards onto some little plates with a loaded bar on your back is asking for disaster.

It seems to me that whatever minimal quad benefit is derived from this practice isn't worth the risks associated with it. Just squatting seems like it should be enough.

Quote Originally Posted by ud2o View Post
    It seems to me that whatever minimal quad benefit is derived from this practice isn't worth the risks associated with it. Just squatting seems like it should be enough.
    Unless there was some device that could attach safely to your foot and give you a little bit of heel raise relative to the toes, that would be designed specifically to allow you to better apply force between the floor and the barbell and even give you a firmer, better footing than you'd have otherwise...

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Skillin View Post
    Unless there was some device that could attach safely to your foot and give you a little bit of heel raise relative to the toes, that would be designed specifically to allow you to better apply force between the floor and the barbell and even give you a firmer, better footing than you'd have otherwise...
    Heh. I believe those are called "weightlifting shoes."

So...the lady should just buy the shoes?

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Skillin View Post
    If you invent such a device, you can name it a quad blaster! :-) You could buy some cheaper oly shoes, change the name on them to a quad blaster, and then sell them for 2x as much.

starting strength coach development program
    I've seen many cat pictures in these here forums. That might be the best.

Well done.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast