starting strength gym

Thread: Collarbone Beat Up From Press

Default Collarbone Beat Up From Press

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Recently I transitioned to a traditional front rack for the press ( with a slightly wider grip and a bit of wrist extension) after using a floating rack for a couple of years. Have to say, it feels like a totally different press. My arms aren’t fatigued from holding the bar, and I swear that I can feel the rebound better off of the hips. Thing is, it’s starting to really beat up my clavicle, particularly the left side. It wasn’t too bad at first, but recently it’s gotten to the point where I’m distracted at work sets. Is this common, or am I doing something wrong? I’ve posted a video below of one of my recent work sets if that helps. As always, thank you. This board has helped me tremendously over the years.

YouTube

That still looks like a floating rack to me. The bar drops and then goes back up. It looks like you are smacking the bar off your clavicle. Are you ready for some sage advice? Cause it is on its way... Don't do that. If you are going to have the bar float, don't bounce it off your clavicles. If you want to hold the bar lower, make sure it is in contact with something solid so that it is not bruising you.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Campitelli View Post
    That still looks like a floating rack to me. The bar drops and then goes back up. It looks like you are smacking the bar off your clavicle. Are you ready for some sage advice? Cause it is on its way... Don't do that. If you are going to have the bar float, don't bounce it off your clavicles. If you want to hold the bar lower, make sure it is in contact with something solid so that it is not bruising you.
    Thanks for the advice Tom, and sometimes sage advice is the best and simplest. I suppose that I’m still carrying the bar an inch or so above the shoulder, it probably just feels like it’s not because I have it kind of in a secure “nook” to rest upon with my arms and elbows kind of wadded up underneath it, where as before I had the bar floating up right under my chin, with my forearms doing much of the work in order to keep it suspended up there. Man, I hate to part with that bounce, but I guess I’m gonna have to break the habit. With my previous rack it wasn’t as much of a problem because the bar would drop somewhere to a spot around my chest. But IMO this was less efficient because the bar was much further away from the shoulder to start, and I feel that a lot of power from the hip had gotten diluted.

There's no advantage to holding the bar artificially high, or far away. You may just need to tighten up the bounce so it doesn't smack you.

If you would be so kind to do a follow up Tom, I’ll leave you guys alone for a while. I increased my work sets by a pound, widened my grip a little more, and managed to get the bar positioned lower on my chest. This feels like a good position to press from, because it’s more tolerable than the clavicle, and while it’s resting there I find it easier to push my hips forward and kind of “heave the bar up”. It’s probably going to be in my best interest to purchase some wrist wraps soon. All other form issues aside, would these be legal for USSF?
    YouTube

From a start position standpoint, all looks good. You have a touch of knee kick on a few of those reps, especially 2, 3, and 4. Not a lot, but it is there. Depending upon how eagle-eyed the judge is, that might earn you red lights. To speak to the larger point, every technique variation has its tradeoffs. A floating rack with a narrow grip and the wrist in mild extension is a very good place from which to produce force. It does not beat on the wrist, but it may fatigue you. Also, the arms must generate the stretch reflex and absorb and correct for any bar path deviations at the start. Holding the bar lower and wider allows the bar to sit on the shoulders or chest. This will remove the fatigue component and, provided you are good at laying back, can help with force transmission to get the bar going. It is a less than ideal start position that, depending upon your proportions, can put the elbows behind the bar and put additional stress on the wrists. It may also encourage more knee kick since it encourages more low back extension at the start, although that is conjecture on my part. It may also help you lift more weight. What works best for you in this situation will be the result of experimentation. You may find you like both for varying situations.

Thanks a lot for that evaluation Tom. For now I’m going to continue carrying the bar in a front rack, and work on not getting in my knees as much. I noticed on my last Work set @ 168.25 the tendency was there on the last reps. I cued myself to really reach my hips, but at the peak it looks like my knees just came unlocked. I’m going to work on cleaning this up considering I’m really pondering on entering the Spring Challenge, since my press is finally approaching respectable loads.

You should still do the Spring USSF meet, no matter what the weight you're lifting is.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Stacks View Post
    You should still do the Spring USSF meet, no matter what the weight you're lifting is.
    I approve of this message.