starting strength gym
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Strength plateau - begging for help at this point

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Dobson View Post
    Ok seeing this do the bridge. Don’t worry about the differences in opinion among coaches regarding post novice training.
    You need a different mindset and that program will help get you there.
    thanks man, I just filled out an application for a coaching inquiry with barbell medicine. Being a student Im constrained on financial capabilities so hopefully I can still get help at a reasonable price otherwise im on my own

Quote Originally Posted by RatDog View Post
    Im not looking to hire a coach because im a broke college kid. Im just confused all together, I found some success with 5/3/1 for my squat and dead but bench went no where and even regressed a little. PH3 was quite possibly the most pathetic experience in my lifting career considering I ran it through and through and made zero progress. There seems to be a reoccurring theme of me running a program and it working for one or two of my lifts but not all 3 so im assuming that im at a point where I have no choice but to program for myself and try to learn how I personally can progress. I just dont feel very confident in my ability to analyze my training from an objective standpoint and make adjustments accordingly. I'm just tired of spending so much time looking for the right program for me and spinning my wheels. The idea of RPE style training seems attractive to me and I was looking into feigenbaums the bridge and even RTS but I thought the general idea of RPE based training wasn't generally accepted by rippetoe or the SS community
    This site is pretty uniform re: how novices should lift.

There's some controversy about the best training program for intermediates, with some coaches preferring higher intensity and lower volume (i.e. Texas Method), others more volume mostly at lower intensity.
    Or rather, everyone agrees that both approaches work but disagree about which is best for which lifters, and which is the best tradeoff between rate-of-progress, risk-of-injury, and likelihood-trainee-will-quit-and-hire-a-different-coach.

I'm in the volume camp, I pick working weights to stop all sets 1-2 reps from failure, and do many sets as I can recover from per week. I use a mix of singles, triples, 5s and 8s, but mostly 5s. HLM template.

But I'm an old weak guy, my program is certainly not right for you. A program optimized for you would put me in the hospital.

I think you are going to have to read some books, pick a template, and perform a long careful series of experiments to adjust it for yourself, if you can't afford a coach.

You could always buy one of Andy Baker’s programs. I think you’d like his power building routine. It’s a very detailed ebook that I think might be right up your alley. He has others as well. At any rate, maybe scheduling a session with a coach could help iron out any technique issues you’re having. I know you’re a broke college kid but it may be worth a shot! Good luck

thanks for the advice guys. Btw, i know I considered myself an intermediate in my OP but i wanted to assure that this is correct? Those numbers are still relatively intermediate level right?

If you don't want to spend any money try Jonny Candito's free intermediate program available on the web. It's probably the best intermediate program out there that isn't customized for an individual. Go through that program twice (6 weeks at a time each) and report back...

thanks man, I just filled out an application for a coaching inquiry with barbell medicine. Being a student Im constrained on financial capabilities so hopefully I can still get help at a reasonable price otherwise im on my own
    If you don't have money for a SS coach, then go to Andy Baker's page and buy one of his programs for $25. If you want to gain size and strength, I think the power building template will do. I purchased one of his programs its quality.

FWIW, I like Andy's programs because they infuse a bit more hypertrophy assistant work than the standard SS coach would advise. Its not too much extra, and you'll know what you can cut if you're not interested and just keep the core strength building foundation. And he won't castigate you for wanting to add a set of curls every now and then, either.

Quote Originally Posted by OZ-USF-UFGator View Post
    If you don't have money for a SS coach, then go to Andy Baker's page and buy one of his programs for $25. If you want to gain size and strength, I think the power building template will do. I purchased one of his programs its quality.
    is it legit? Ive fallen into the powerbuilding programs many times with layne nortons PHAT and PH3 but found neither to really work well

is it legit? Ive fallen into the powerbuilding programs many times with layne nortons PHAT and PH3 but found neither to really work well
    It depends on what you are training for. It sounds like you want to see the strength gains thus my suggestion. Andy Baker is Legit and his programs work as well. To me it sounds close to what you have been banging away at already (though at less frequency) and why I think you need a change.

starting strength coach development program
    Andy co-wrote practical programming with Rippetoe, co-wrote Barbell Prescription, is a SS coach and if you watch his videos is a big, strong MF. I read both of his books and bought a program. Yes, IMO, he is 100% legit.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast