starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift Check

Default Deadlift Check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    YouTube

Tried getting as close to 45 degrees on the angle, I'll be purchasing a tripod after Christmas to help with that. Reps felt good, I had to switch to hook grip on rep 4 and 5 as the bar was starting to roll.

My observations...
    - I might be dropping my butt a bit too much as a shift my weight back off my toes.
    - Bar could be tighter to my shins/legs

I think your observations are pretty much right, and there isn't too much more to add. Maybe a tiny bit of bent arms when you set-up, so either narrow your stance or widen your grip a tad to get perfectly straight arms when you set up your pull. Do you have long tibias relative to your femurs? It looks like you do but I can't tell for sure. You have a somewhat unusual looking set-up, but that would account for it, I think.

I am a bit "lanky" i guess? I've been doing the program for a while so I know how things SHOULD be at the start of each rep so I don't go through the progression step by step as I used to. I think i just needed some confirmation on what I saw. So I'll work on keeping my butt up when shifting my weight off my toes, and I'll work on the grip/arms as well.

I just watched your video. Yes, you are starting the 1st rep with your hips too low. Go through the steps for your initial setup to get it right. Then the next issue is reps 2-5. Many people mess this up badly. Here is what I teach all my clients; When lowering the barbell, as soon as the weights touch the floor, freeze. If you bent your knees as soon as the bar passed them on the way down, you will be in the correct position. All you have to do then is take another big breath, set your back and pull. I noticed on your video, that you dropped your hips after the weights were on the ground and therefore you started from a position that was too low. The weight is sub maximal for you so you can still pull it, but it is not correct.

Thanks Randy, I just saw your post today after doing DL this morning. I think a lot of my problem is having been doing SS for 3 years I don't feel like i need to go through the steps for a correct pull. It feels like I'm hitting all the right coaching points, but clearly I'm glancing over some important things.

Here's my set of 5 @ 395 from this morning. YouTube

Things I noticed before Randy's observations were read...

-Still some bend in the arms. I feel like I can't get in a good spot without some bend in my elbows, I tightened my stance and tried not pointing my toes out as much. But when I push my knees out I end up making my elbows bend just a bit.

-Bar is tighter to my legs, but I might need to engage my Lats more to pull the bar against them.

-My arm angle looks off, before I pull I'm adjusting so the bar is almost even with my shoulder joint, rather than being lined up with my scapula.

Get your hips a little higher. Keep the bar on your legs better. The former will help with the latter.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Campitelli View Post
    Get your hips a little higher. Keep the bar on your legs better. The former will help with the latter.
    Interesting how this is basically what you, yourself, Steve, pointed out in your OP. But note this comment in your post a week later:

Quote Originally Posted by stevensk06 View Post
    I think a lot of my problem is having been doing SS for 3 years I don't feel like i need to go through the steps for a correct pull. It feels like I'm hitting all the right coaching points, but clearly I'm glancing over some important things.
    This is probably the source of the problem. You know who still mentally goes through the entire 5-step setup checklist in his head whenever he deadlifts. Every single time? Me. Lots of other SSCs as well. How long have we been doing this? Pretty much always a lot longer than 3 years.

Don't get complacent. Focus on the steps, do them right every time and don't look at the set-up as an annoying formality to be rushed through before you get to the main event, the actual pull. NO. The steps and set-up are the thing you need to do so the pull is good, every time. So do them.