starting strength gym

Thread: Squat Form Check

Default Squat Form Check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hello Coaches

I am a 6'0 / 184cm, 170 lbs / 78 kg male, currently doing the sslp. My squats are beginning to feel heavy, so I would like to ask for feedback on my technique. Lately, my low back feels really sore on off days (no pain, however). Is my form sufficiently good to keep increasing the weight?

The following video is contains the last set of five at 165lbs / 75 kg:

squat on Vimeo

Sorry for the weird outfit, I am working out in the basement and its really cold there right now.

Thank you a lot for the great content you provide, by the way!

Cheers
    Martin

Your squats are not bad, but you are running into a real equipment limitation. Your stance should be a bit wider and you need to drive your knees out a good deal more. Chances are good that if you did both those things, you would run into the the sides of your rack. You would greatly benefit from a proper 7-foot long Olympic barbell and a proper squat rack. If that is not in the cards for your home setup, you may need to go to a gym. Getting your knees out will also probably help with strain on your back and a couple other useful components of the squat. Also, strongly consider some lifting shoes. Your form is not bad, but to do what I would suggest would require some different stuff.

Thank you for your feedback! I've bought a proper Olympic barbell a couple of weeks ago, but the shipment of the corresponding weights has not arrived yet. I'll try and get some proper shoes as well:-) I'll see if a wider stance and driving the knees out more is possible with my rack. I think I can make it a bit wider. Thanks again!