starting strength gym

Thread: Seated OHP

Default Seated OHP

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I haven't been pressing because I don't have a high enough ceiling. I started doing seated, but can't seem to get my form right. I know there are several threads on here already, but:

1) I have an adjustable bench and can press with back support or without. Without back support seems to be easier, as I want to move my body forward under the bar. With back support, I have to lift the weight above my head and then move the weight to my body, and I won't be able to do this with significant weight. Am I better off pressing without using a back support? If not, what is proper form to use it?

2) Other than #1, is the form and motion for a seated press exactly the same as a standing press?

Right now I can bench 250lbs for reps and it is almost as difficult as a 105lbs seated OHP. I need to fix that.

Could you press standing up using lots of small plates instead of big ones?

No. I am at least 2 inches short of pressing an empty bar.

Quote Originally Posted by BVBellomo View Post
    I haven't been pressing because I don't have a high enough ceiling. I started doing seated, but can't seem to get my form right. I know there are several threads on here already, but:

1) I have an adjustable bench and can press with back support or without. Without back support seems to be easier, as I want to move my body forward under the bar. With back support, I have to lift the weight above my head and then move the weight to my body, and I won't be able to do this with significant weight. Am I better off pressing without using a back support? If not, what is proper form to use it?

2) Other than #1, is the form and motion for a seated press exactly the same as a standing press?

Right now I can bench 250lbs for reps and it is almost as difficult as a 105lbs seated OHP. I need to fix that.
    Maybe it's not the ceiling, but your floor is too high.

Quote Originally Posted by BVBellomo View Post

Same boat. I was doing seated in the basement until I saw an SSC. He questioned if I could find a way/place to do standing. I now carry the bar and weights up the stairs to the patio and press outside (cleaning it to rack position). It's been cold, snowy and windy. Did press in a light rain once. I have to set up something in the barn for the summer storms. Carrying the weights, bending over to change plates through the warm-ups/work sets and cleaning the weight to rack position tax my lumbar region and will be limiting factors to what I can press soon (and I don't deadlift on press day).

I am utilizing Press 2.0 and much prefer it to either method of seated I have used (non-supported prior to P2.0 and supported about 15 years ago at the local Y).

Of the two seated methods, I struggled setting my back into what I thought was a proper and safe position when unsupported. Of the two seated, I prefer supported - YMMV.

Because I think the standing is better than seated, I will be figuring out something in the barn for press only.

It may be a pain in the ass, but if you can figure out an option for standing - give it a try for a few sessions.

have you tried kneeing?

Seated presses have worked since dumbells were invented. This shit is getting old. I would never carry my bar and weights outside, I'd press from a seated position no question. If anything, seated almost forces a better torso position, in that you cannot lean as you would standing. You literally lose the balance. It's a pure shoulder press when your seated. When you stand, well it seems you can do whatever to lift more, version 8.0 or whatever. If your torn on using support or not, just work both a bit and see what comes along more naturally as you get accustomed to the movement. Either way, you lift more awhile from now and your shoulders will look good. Also, if your dying to press standing, consider moving the grip out to shorten the ROM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ericreichelt81 View Post
    Seated presses have worked since dumbells were invented. This shit is getting old. I would never carry my bar and weights outside, I'd press from a seated position no question. If anything, seated almost forces a better torso position, in that you cannot lean as you would standing. You literally lose the balance. It's a pure shoulder press when your seated. When you stand, well it seems you can do whatever to lift more, version 8.0 or whatever. If your torn on using support or not, just work both a bit and see what comes along more naturally as you get accustomed to the movement. Either way, you lift more awhile from now and your shoulders will look good. Also, if your dying to press standing, consider moving the grip out to shorten the ROM.
    nothing wrong with seated ohp. I prefer doing them without back support. As I mentioned, kneeing is good alt

I have a similar problem (but only for pin presses), kneeling presses (with a yoga mat for the knees) and Zercher presses both work really well.

starting strength coach development program
    I think seated presses are fine. I do mine at about an 85 degree incline, which sort of simulates the position you get when pressing off the bottom of the OHP. Like Lou said, another option (maybe for another day during the week) would be kneeling presses.