starting strength gym

Thread: HIIT by Heart Rate?

Default HIIT by Heart Rate?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    What is a general rule of thumb to cycle heart rate when doing HIIT.

Last night I did deadmill pushes. My start time, beginning and ending heart rate for 30 second bursts were:

0(start): 134, 164
    2 min: 124, 156
    4 min: 140, 161
    6 min: 145, 165
    8 min : 145, 169

I do these after lifting and not in off days. I try to get them in every lifting session and typically average 10 x a month.

I am male. 46 years old and 205 pound intermediate. My goal is strength, general conditioning and a bit of fat loss (hovering at 20 percent body fat ). Also I don’t want to be winded by climbing 5 flights of stairs multiple times per day as I must do at work. And I’m going to start bjj in thr spring.

The issue I’m having is that I can’t find a good guide for using heart rate to design an HIIT program.

Any guidance? Please and thank you.

Correction: my time 0 heart rate was 134 start and 154 end (not 164)

Quote Originally Posted by OZ-USF-UFGator View Post
    Correction: my time 0 heart rate was 134 start and 154 end (not 164)

I would use a heart-rate ceiling for LISS sessions. HIIT should be max effort (dont worry about max HR)...HIIT is all about watts.

For HIIT, I sometimes use an HR monitor to determine rest length (I usually wait for HR to fall back to 110-120).

What’s your resting HR? Surely that 134 is post-exercise, right?

Quote Originally Posted by OZ-USF-UFGator View Post
    What is a general rule of thumb to cycle heart rate when doing HIIT.

The issue I’m having is that I can’t find a good guide for using heart rate to design an HIIT program.

Any guidance? Please and thank you.
    See the excellent 5 videos on Strength-Endurance

HR rate isn't used for true high intensity workouts as it lags the effort. If you train by power on a indoor bike or rower you train at various percentages over your sustainable power output. Otherwise train at near max intensity for the intervals and bring a bucket.

Are you resting for a fixed length of time? I’m a little older than you but I like my HR to recover a bit more than yours is.

Tell us your resting HR and figure out your 2 minute HR recovery (after your last interval) and we can compare notes.

My resting HR is 59 or lower and my 2minute HR recovery is between 30 and 45 beats per minute depending on the type of workout I do.

Also, in my experience, doing a few longer intervals (2 to 4 minutes) drives my ability to do 20second bursts very effectively.

Quote Originally Posted by John Hanley View Post
    I would use a heart-rate ceiling for LISS sessions. HIIT should be max effort (dont worry about max HR)...HIIT is all about watts.

For HIIT, I sometimes use an HR monitor to determine rest length (I usually wait for HR to fall back to 110-120).

What’s your resting HR? Surely that 134 is post-exercise, right?
    Immediately after lifting session. I had just left the “curl dumbbell rack”

Quote Originally Posted by ColoWayno View Post
    Are you resting for a fixed length of time? I’m a little older than you but I like my HR to recover a bit more than yours is.

Tell us your resting HR and figure out your 2 minute HR recovery (after your last interval) and we can compare notes.

My resting HR is 59 or lower and my 2minute HR recovery is between 30 and 45 beats per minute depending on the type of workout I do.

Also, in my experience, doing a few longer intervals (2 to 4 minutes) drives my ability to do 20second bursts very effectively.
    Work rest ratio is 39 in , 90 off. Next time it will be 30 on 120 off. I’ve grrn alternating but this time the treadmill would measure heart rate while I was using it so I took and logged the data.

starting strength coach development program
    w:r = 30:90 or 1:3

Other Days its 30:123 or 1:4

these are pretty much all out efforts. In the past 5 weeks, I have increased my total # of steps in the same 30 seconds, and don't feel nauseous anymore.