starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: quick hypothetical

Default quick hypothetical

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I feel like my lifts are topping out a bit on the low side, relative to my BW but I went into this thing as an obese beginner and didn't gain any weight, in fact I lost 40-45 lbs (fluctuates a little these days.) But weight loss, improved health markers was my goal going in.

If I went into SS as a skinny ass and was able to gain weight, would that have made a huge difference?

Stats

47 YO
    6'4"
    255 lbs

Bench I am at 225 for a 1x5 I do 195 5x5 on my other bench day during bench week.. press week I do 205 3x5 on the 2nd workout of the week

Press 135 3x5 still microloading and ekeing out a little progress but it has slowed

Squat 255 3x5 but I have to modulate to a medium and a light day to keep slow progress

DL 305 1x5 but my grip is becoming limiting factor

I don't know how to clean, do some rowing and negative chins.. I can only hit like 3 unweighted chins.

I just picked up Dr Sullivan's book to get some ideas about how to proceed when things go south.

A few questions.
    1) why do you have this bench setup?
    2) are you microloading bench?
    3) what grip are you using on DL? Do you use chalk?
    4) have you seen Adam Skillin yet? If I recall, you’re from Jersey?

Quote Originally Posted by Royce Nichols View Post
    A few questions.
    1) why do you have this bench setup?
    2) are you microloading bench?
    3) what grip are you using on DL? Do you use chalk?
    4) have you seen Adam Skillin yet? If I recall, you’re from Jersey?

1. Bench stalled out for a few weeks after trying several strategies this seems to have gotten it moving again (volume day/intensity day)
    2. Tried that, no joy
    3. Regular OH grip with chalk. I have been a mechanic for 30 years so my hands are somewhat arthritic,
    4. No $ at the moment.

1. Just switch to an actual HLM template. You’re benching ‘heavy’ once every other week. You should just purchase one of Andy’s programs.
    2. Use hook or mixed for DL work sets
    3. See a coach when you can. It’s well worth it

Not really

I figured out a 1x5 max

The following Monday I did 5x5 for roughly 80%
    Friday I did the 1x5 max which was I think was12.5 lbs more than where I was stuck (I don't have my notebook with me right now)

The following Wed I was unstuck from my 3x5 work set on NLP by 5 lbs. Both Friday and the following Wed are "heavy" relative to my ability.

And none of this really answered the question.

Wouldn't a skinny guy who ate right be in a better place horomonally to get stronger than a fat guy trying to cut?

Quote Originally Posted by billb7581 View Post
    And none of this really answered the question.

Wouldn't a skinny guy who ate right be in a better place horomonally to get stronger than a fat guy trying to cut?
    Not necessarily. The fat guy almost always starts out with more muscle mass while the skinny guy is limited by the rate at which he can add it to his frame.

Relative to BW it still seems like it would be easier for 150lb me to hit a bw bench while adding weight than 305lb me to hit one while cutting but I will defer to the experts

Relative to BW it still seems like it would be easier for 150lb me to hit a bw bench while adding weight than 305lb me to hit one while cutting but I will defer to the experts
    Too much at play here. I coached a 'bigger guy'. His weight came down but he benched fine. Coached another guy and he was underweight and gained but still sucked at bench. I gained weight and my bench blew up. Lots of variables here.

starting strength coach development program
    Well, that's sort of a different question than what you asked.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast