starting strength gym

Thread: Expectations for bi-lateral inguinal hernia mesh repair

Default Expectations for bi-lateral inguinal hernia mesh repair

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Surgery late next week and so I’m interested in hearing real life experiences.

What should I expect in terms of immediate suffering and indignity, the first two weeks, and then road back to lifting?

I’ve felt this coming on for a couple of years, but since Christmas the symptoms just got bad enough that it was time to get it fixed immediately.

Had one on January 2015, bilateral mesh done arthroscopic. I had a post-op issue where the local xylocaine injection got too close to the bladder and I needed catheterization to empty my bladder; spent about 24 hours in recovery rook for what otherwise should have been four hours as they (rightly) refused to release me until I could urinate under my own power.

Post-op, my balls and lower abdomen hurt for a few days; I seem to recall taking oxy for a day or two and acetaminophen for another three days or so. Was back to work in less than a week, back to a full body workout in thirteen days. Training logs for that period are here.

My surgeon told me unless there's pain there's no reason not to go back to it. "If it hurts, stop," was the guidance, much to SWMBO's dismay.

Mostly, the hernia operation and recovery was an annoyance more than anything else.

Haven't had a problem since.

I have a middle aged client who just got the exact same procedure. Out for a few weeks, working his way back up now. No issues so far.

I was back in the gym 10 days after a bilateral laparoscopic hernia repair. I've detailed my experience on this forum. I would post a link but I'm on my phone so it's problematic to find it and copy it.

Quote Originally Posted by Culican View Post
    I was back in the gym 10 days after a bilateral laparoscopic hernia repair. I've detailed my experience on this forum. I would post a link but I'm on my phone so it's problematic to find it and copy it.
    Home and at my laptop.

Here is my log starting the day after my surgery:

CULICAN's LOG

Thanks for the replies everyone. And thanks for the link to your log Culican - very encouraging!

I've had four hernia surgeries. 2 were great, 2 were medical screw ups. The lesson from all of them is get your ass out of bed and start moving.

OP here, replying to my own question for anyone who stumbles into this post via search in the future.

I just had the surgery. It seems like I had a similar experience to what Culican recounts in his log: manageable pain, similar to doing far far too many sit-ups.

The nurses were surprised that I declined help getting out of bed, dressing myself, and walking across the room. The stairs at home are also manageable. Hooray for Barbell Medicine!

The doctor prescribed Vicodin, which I will use today, and for not waking myself up by moving in my sleep tonight, but I’m going to try to not use them after tomorrow.

Honestly, the two worst bits so far are a sore throat from the breathing tube (general anesthesia) because coughing to clear my irritated throat really hurts at the incision sites; and really personal pain from the catheter. First couple of times peeing were really painful all of the way down, but now it just hurts at the insertion point.

Good times.

starting strength coach development program
    Original poster here!

The doc gave the ok to do whatever I want, as long as it doesn't hurt. I've been taking it easy the past three weeks - mostly just lots of walking and yard work, but it is time to get back to it.

So I started a new training log.

I'd appreciate it if anybody so inclined could check it out! Accountability - even to strangers - is motivating!