starting strength gym

Thread: Press check

Default Press check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi, Guys!

Took a video of my press yesterday (175x5) and thought it looked kinda funky. The weight moved fast but I think I could do a better job of keeping my elbows in at the bottom and I seem to be swaying a lot. I press 1.0 because I haven't been able to see a coach and learn 2.0 and so far the 1.0 has been good to me. Ended LP in the fall and been running Andy's powerbuilding program.

Age 27
    H 6'1
    BW 230

Thanks!

YouTube

1) You're not locking many of these out completely. You need to lock out the elbows hard, while shrugging really hard, and hold it there for a 1-count.
    2) Tighter abs - your upper lumbar is a little over-extended towards the end of the set. Since you cut off your unracking the bar at the beginning, I can see if you set up this way, BUT, stand normally. Try to hold that normal anatomical extension of the spine throughout the rep. If the back does extend, it should return to normal towards the top of the rep.
    3) Breathe between each rep. That means the first rep is strict pressed, and the subsequent reps breathing takes place at the top.

Also, can't see your hands, but it looks like your wrists are extended - I can't see your grip to tell definitively though. I'm guessing based where the bar appears to be in WRT the forearms.

Anyway, See the sticky on where to film a press check from, for future reference.

Wow! Thanks, Steve! Lots to focus on here. Im glad I posted. I知 going to work on these tips for a couple weeks and post again the next 5s cycle. I知 set to do heavy doubles tmrw but I don稚 think that値l be much value for you...and I知 kind of a motor moron so it値l take me a little while to get these tips down.

Yes, my wrists are bent. Definitely something I have been struggling with. Good catch with the breathing. I usually just get a big air before my unrack and do as many as I can. Is it ok to get a few reps on 1 breath? Or should I get a breath after each one?

Thanks again

We always coach novices to take a breath between each rep. It’s not just to take the breath, either. There are other things happening during that time, like making sure everything is in balance over the midfoot before initiating the next rep. And making sure you locked out the previous one... In other words, holding your breath encourages you to hurry, which in an experienced lifter who has great technique will be OK, but just leads to cumulative error with a novice.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Hill View Post
    We always coach novices to take a breath between each rep. It’s not just to take the breath, either. There are other things happening during that time, like making sure everything is in balance over the midfoot before initiating the next rep. And making sure you locked out the previous one... In other words, holding your breath encourages you to hurry, which in an experienced lifter who has great technique will be OK, but just leads to cumulative error with a novice.
    Cool. Makes sense. Yeah, I have seen Wolf get a few reps with one breath but his body stays locked and very tight, whereas I am swaying all over the place. I'll work on it. Thanks, Steve!