starting strength gym

Thread: DL check - lifting shoes or not?

Default DL check - lifting shoes or not?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Dear coaches,

Please take a look at my latest DL, 205kg x 5. After being recommended it by a local powerlifter, I have recently been playing around with pulling without my lifting shoes on, and I have to say that I enjoy pulling flatfooted much more than with lifting shoes. I went ahead and gave it a shot again today with shoes since this is the default recommendation around here, but I feel it is really difficult getting a good squeeze before initiating the pull as my hips are higher than they are flat footed. I went flat footed for my second set but the phone tipped over on the second rep, so footage is unusable. I somehow forgot to film the third set (tired). The only video I have right now of a flatfooted DL is a double from a few weeks ago at 220kg that I can upload and link to if necessary for comparison.

The video:

Thanks in advance for the help!

1) Your low back is unlocking on every rep. This could be that the weight is too heavy for you to hold your back together, but I think it's that you're not trying hard enough when you do step 4 (squeeze up). I don't think this is a shoe issue at all. You have to let the squeeze up pull on the arms / bar HARD. Almost ALL of the weight should be in your hands from this when you do it right, and THEN you push the floor away from you with your feet. Watch Niki Sims video on squeezing the bar off the floor. Secondly, don't rock back onto your heels to start the pull. Push your midfoot straight down into the floor, staying over the bar for 1-2" off the floor. You're also trying to stand up a bit early, hence the instruction to stay over the bar for a bit
    Last edited by Steve Hill; 02-27-2018 at 08:36 PM.

Can someone provide a link to that video? I've ruined a lot of sets with weights that I was certain I could pull cause my low back was almost fully rounded at the bottom.

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the feedback! I will watch Nicki Sim's video again and work on squeezing up better. The staying over the bar part will take some practice, I imagine.

I think part of the reason I am rocking back on my heels is that I'm wearing my lifting shoes here. I feel like I am tilting forwards and my hips feel higher making the squeeze harder. It might also just be in my mind, and I should just try harder.

What is your opinion on pulling flatfooted? I see most strong lifters pull in flat shoes (or no shoes), under which circumstances would it be preferable to pull flatfooted?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by KangaJoo View Post
    Can someone provide a link to that video? I've ruined a lot of sets with weights that I was certain I could pull cause my low back was almost fully rounded at the bottom.
    Really? The search function is that hard?

Squeezing the Bar Off the Floor | Niki Sims

Quote Originally Posted by Rasmus Bengtsen View Post
    Hi Steve,

Thanks for the feedback! I will watch Nicki Sim's video again and work on squeezing up better. The staying over the bar part will take some practice, I imagine.

I think part of the reason I am rocking back on my heels is that I'm wearing my lifting shoes here. I feel like I am tilting forwards and my hips feel higher making the squeeze harder. It might also just be in my mind, and I should just try harder.

What is your opinion on pulling flatfooted? I see most strong lifters pull in flat shoes (or no shoes), under which circumstances would it be preferable to pull flatfooted?

Thanks!
    If you feel you need to pull in slippers, then pull in the slippers. What I'm telling your is all I see wrong here is attributable to the lifter and not his equipment.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Hill View Post
    If you feel you need to pull in slippers, then pull in the slippers. What I'm telling your is all I see wrong here is attributable to the lifter and not his equipment.
    And I very much appreciate that! Thanks again.