starting strength gym

Thread: Rest time between chin ups?

Default Rest time between chin ups?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hello. According to the book and articles and threads on this website, for the major barbell lifts you should be resting 5-10 minutes. Got it. However for less important exercises like chin ups and dips, can you rest 2-3 minutes to save time? Thanks for any responses.

Sure, but you'll start missing if you're pushing your reps or adding weight, same as any other lift. Then you'll have to consider if the time or the training is worth more to you.

Alright thanks for the feedback

Concur with Stef.

The guidance I use comes from the workout I'm doing at the time. If I make the rep, the recovery time taken beforehand is appropriate. If I miss the rep, I didn't provide enough recovery between reps. The first indication of recovery is that my breathing returns to normal. Usually my time between lifts ranges from 3 to 10 minutes, with the mode around 5.

Sidebar: Even if the exercise is the same, we may be doing different programs. For example, a man that does five sets of 15 reps at bodyweight (only) may be experiencing stress materially different than a man who does singles. I do only singles, so please keep the programing difference in mind when evaluating my answer.

Thank you Fedora