starting strength gym

Thread: Rep Stainless Steel Power Bar

Default Rep Stainless Steel Power Bar

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    "The first batch of 150 of these barbells did not pass our inspection tests in terms of having knurl markings that meet IPF standards. The markings are currently 3" too far apart." I realize they're new and only 150 are available from the "defective" first run, but does anybody have any experience with this bar yet?

Rep Stainless Steel Power Bar | Stainless Steel Powerlifting Bar

Having the knurl marks too wide seems like it would be annoying for benching as I bench just a tad instead the IPF markings. But I suppose I would adjust to setting my hands in the right spot (i.e., essentially 1.5'' in from the actual markings). Doesn't seem like there would be an issue for any other lifts. I suppose some people bench with bars that only have Olympic markings, right? Annoying?

I haven't heard much about this brand in terms of quality. But while this might be blasphemy, from the specs at least, this essentially sounds like a stainless steel version of B&R bar (i.e., 29 MM diameter, center knurl, 205 tensile, medium depth knurl). Well, except for the fact that it has only one set of markings between where the Olympic and IPF markings would be. Not in a huge rush to get a new bar, but this seems like a nice price for stainless steel. Thoughts?

For background, I'm currently using a beater / starter bar-- the Body Solid OB86B (Amazon.com : Body Solid Oly Power Bar 7 ft Black : Weight Bars : Sports & Outdoors). I was looking at the B&R Bar (and perhaps the Ohio Power Bar if I have a chance to test out the deeper knurl at a local gym), but was thinking I might try to hold off until Black Friday. My power rack is in a climate-controlled basement so I'm not too worried about bare steel, but stainless is stainless.

It’s a really nice bar, especially for the money. The knurl is definitely more moderate, but Rep will be making an aggressive version and releasing it in the next few months. In general, Rep is making some good stuff.

I have a full review of the bar here:
    Rep Fitness Stainless Steel Power Bar Review - Garage Gym Lab

Appreciate the reply. Very informative and thorough review. In the review, you state:

"There are some bars out there, like the Rogue B&R bar that, in my opinion, smartly change the center knurl pattern to accommodate for the potential discomfort. With the Rep Fitness bar; however, there really isn’t a need."

Is that because the knurl on the Rep isn't as aggressive as the B&R? (Meaning that if you had to rank the knurl from the least to most aggressive, it would be the Rep Power Bar, the B&R, and then the Ohio Power Bar)?

Quote Originally Posted by JonathanR78 View Post
    Appreciate the reply. Very informative and thorough review. In the review, you state:

"There are some bars out there, like the Rogue B&R bar that, in my opinion, smartly change the center knurl pattern to accommodate for the potential discomfort. With the Rep Fitness bar; however, there really isn’t a need."

Is that because the knurl on the Rep isn't as aggressive as the B&R? (Meaning that if you had to rank the knurl from the least to most aggressive, it would be the Rep Power Bar, the B&R, and then the Ohio Power Bar)?
    Thanks for reading! That's exactly right. The Rep is less aggressive than both throughout. I don't use the Rep bar for deadlifts because I prefer a more aggressive knurl, but I'm definitely a fan otherwise. The fact it's stainless throughout is a nice benefit that most stainless bars don't offer unless you're looking at the Ivanko Stainless or the new Vulcan Stainless (which I also own and discovered their knurl marks were also incorrect). The price on the Rep bar is crazy good.