starting strength gym

Thread: unstable shoulder

Default unstable shoulder

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    this is my first post so hope it’s in the correct section

My left shoulder has been repaired
    torn rotator cuff tendon and the cartilage around the socket ? was also repaired during the surgery

Just recently started training after a 18 year layoff and have been following th LP program with good results except for a constant pain in this shoulder

The front deltoid area is always sore and it feels like my arm drops very slightly out of the socket?

some background
    66 years old 265 lbs worked weights much of my life until I was diagnosed with a aneurysm from a bicuspid aortic valve and had to stop training and watch that grow to the point it was repaired

I now have a pig valve aortic valve and a dacron tube for my aortic root. My surgeon says I have no restrictions and can train so I set up a great weight room I love the weights.

lots of orthepedic surgeries I’m pretty beat up so I’m using some specialty bars and modified the lifts to work around my deficiencies

these are my current lifts

1)safety squat bar for hatfield squats 3x5 at 270lbs

2) trap bar dead lifts I do 5 singles because i need to reset each time or end up loosing my back set I’m using 260 now for 5 singles

3) bench I use a football bar in an attempt to get some relief in this same shoulder issue 3 sets with 185lbs seems to help a lot for this lift

4) overhead presses with standard olympic bar 3 sets of 5 with 115lbs

I also alternate the following on the A & B workouts

lat pulls on lat machine 170 for 3-4 sets of 5-6 reps with neutral grip landmine rows 3-4 sets of 5 reps with 115 lbs

Ok so my question sorry if the above info it too much

is there any exercise I could use to improve the “loose shoulder” issue (today the front of my left shoulder caused me to drop down to 85 lbs just to get all the sets done and it was really sore all day)

thanks

Bob

this is a great site I sure wish this info was available in the 60’s

forgot to mention due to my job travel I often end up with two and sometime three days between workouts. I’ve been progressing weight wise so apparently the longer recovery helps me.
    I rest 5-6 minutes between sets depending on the lift and how I feel.

i have both books
    Starting strength and barbell prescription after 40 and appreciate both and have read them each twice cover to cover

thanks again