starting strength gym
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Can’t make 2.5lb jumps, 2lb or 3lb jumps?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Nockian View Post
    That's confusing. In that case ignore what I said.
    I used my 1.25 lb plates this morning. What's confusing about it? It's just half the weight of the 2.5 lb plates.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Herbison View Post
    I used my 1.25 lb plates this morning. What's confusing about it? It's just half the weight of the 2.5 lb plates.
    The US system of weights. Mixing imperial with metric. Weird if you are from Europe who are all metric, but even weirder from the British perspective.

When we had prober imperial measurements then it would be 1lb 4oz or 11/4 pounds (which would never be used). With fractions it is easy to subdivide. So, in metric .5, .25, .125 then it begins to get messy; where as 1/2, 1/4, 1/8, 1/16, 1/32, 1/64, 1/128...-fits octal too for computers. For machining tolerance we used to use thou- 1/1000 of an inch.

So 1.25lbs is just plain awkward which resulted in my misunderstanding. It's as weird as using 11/4Kg or 11/32 cm which would have our German cousins choking on their Weiss Bier. In the UK if I buy a 1.25 plate it's always Kg which makes sense as the bigger plates are 5,10,15,20,25.

I find things like this fascinating in a very geeky way.

"A Royale with cheese"

Now I think about it. Exactly how are your big plates weighted ? I know there is a 45, so is there a forty ? Or is it 45,35,25... Can't be 45, 22.5 ?

The US system of weights. Mixing imperial with metric. Weird if you are from Europe who are all metric, but even weirder from the British perspective.

When we had prober imperial measurements then it would be 1lb 4oz or 11/4 pounds (which would never be used). With fractions it is easy to subdivide. So, in metric .5, .25, .125 then it begins to get messy; where as 1/2, 1/4, 1/8, 1/16, 1/32, 1/64, 1/128...-fits octal too for computers. For machining tolerance we used to use thou- 1/1000 of an inch.

So 1.25lbs is just plain awkward which resulted in my misunderstanding. It's as weird as using 11/4Kg or 11/32 cm which would have our German cousins choking on their Weiss Bier. In the UK if I buy a 1.25 plate it's always Kg which makes sense as the bigger plates are 5,10,15,20,25.

I find things like this fascinating in a very geeky way.

"A Royale with cheese"
    How is 11/4 1.25 pounds? If a pound is 16 ounces, wouldn’t it be 5/4 ounces?

That being said, the absolute value is less important than the fact that the fractional plates represents a weight smaller than the usual rate of increase.

Quote Originally Posted by Satch12879 View Post
    How is 11/4 1.25 pounds? If a pound is 16 ounces, wouldn’t it be 5/4 ounces?

That being said, the absolute value is less important than the fact that the fractional plates represents a weight smaller than the usual rate of increase.
    Sorry, that would 5/4 pounds or 20 total ounces for 1.25 or 1-1/4 pounds.

Sorry, that would 5/4 pounds or 20 total ounces for 1.25 or 1-1/4 pounds.
    I was comparing 1.25 which would be 11/4 (said as 1 and one quarter not as eleven fourths/eleven quarters). You could use 20oz -that would be just as correct, but if I was going into ye old fashioned olde English sweet shop it would be traditional to ask in quarters/halves/pounds. "A quarter of mint humbugs" or in a butcher "a pound an a quarter/half of your pork sausages". To ask for "20oz of sausages" would get strange looks -because the scales were generally 1,2,3 lbs with fractional increments. A modern digital kitchen scale does oz for cooking, but that's not how it used to be. No one would say 5/4 (five quarters) of something, or you would have ended up with 5 X 1/4 of whatever ordered in seperate little baggies.

I was comparing 1.25 which would be 11/4 (said as 1 and one quarter not as eleven fourths/eleven quarters). You could use 20oz -that would be just as correct, but if I was going into ye old fashioned olde English sweet shop it would be traditional to ask in quarters/halves/pounds. "A quarter of mint humbugs" or in a butcher "a pound an a quarter/half of your pork sausages". To ask for "20oz of sausages" would get strange looks -because the scales were generally 1,2,3 lbs with fractional increments. A modern digital kitchen scale does oz for cooking, but that's not how it used to be. No one would say 5/4 (five quarters) of something, or you would have ended up with 5 X 1/4 of whatever ordered in seperate little baggies.
    But you wrote “11/4,” which reads as “eleven over four” or “eleven quarters.” A space or dash would have cleared this up.

But you wrote “11/4,” which reads as “eleven over four” or “eleven quarters.” A space or dash would have cleared this up.
    Because it's lbs there is no need to add dashes or space 11/4 lbs. as I previously said, no one does 'eleven fourths pounds' , so the numbers are quite clear if you understand the measurement system. Normally the 1 would be above the two, but we don't have that luxury on 'tinternet.

Your name would have anything to do with a certain guitarist would it ?

The US system of weights. Mixing imperial with metric.
    The decimal system isn't just metric though. Would you find 3.5 feet confusing? Honest question, not poking fun.

I was comparing 1.25 which would be 11/4 (said as 1 and one quarter not as eleven fourths/eleven quarters).
    Because it's lbs there is no need to add dashes or space 11/4 lbs. as I previously said, no one does 'eleven fourths pounds' , so the numbers are quite clear if you understand the measurement system.
    No, you absolutely do need something between there. 11/4 ≠ 1 1/4. I do understand the measurement system, and I was still confused, so there obviously is a need in order to clarify. This is also why we use units. Though since the rest of his post referred to pounds, I would have thought that part was a given.

starting strength coach development program
    Also,
    Normally the 1 would be above the two, but we don't have that luxury on 'tinternet.
    ½, ⅓, ¼

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast