starting strength gym
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Can’t make 2.5lb jumps, 2lb or 3lb jumps?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean Herbison View Post
    The decimal system isn't just metric though. Would you find 3.5 feet confusing? Honest question, not poking fun.

No, you absolutely do need something between there. 11/4 ≠ 1 1/4. I do understand the measurement system, and I was still confused, so there obviously is a need in order to clarify. This is also why we use units. Though since the rest of his post referred to pounds, I would have thought that part was a given.
    3.5 feet is unambiguous, although no one in the UK would use that. My confusion was with the plate size. A 1.5 plate in the UK is a 1.5 Kg by weight. That's where the confusion occured. As I said-then ignore my comment.

I said 11/4 lbs there are no spaces or hashes required by the imperial system. It's difficult to misconstrue it to mean 'eleven fourth pounds' but hey, whatever.

Also,

½, ⅓, ¼
    Cool, how did you do that ? My apple keypad doesn't have that option-at least I don't think it has.

If you have 2.5 lb plates you can rearrange reps to progress. For example, if your bench press is 200x5x3 (repsxsets), on next bench press day you'd go 205x3x5. Next bench press day do the same weight but you can now do it at 205x5x3. It's basically like going up 2.5 lbs every session.

And for the record, if it were me and I had to start progressing less than 2 lbs every lift, I'd switch to HLM or some other intermediate programming. Progress will be faster. I'm now doing HLM for all of my lifts because of this.

For seniors and women I understand microloading less than 2 lbs may be necessary but as I understand it you're a young male so don't settle for less if you don't have to.

Wow insanely good info, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Nockian View Post
    3.5 feet is unambiguous, although no one in the UK would use that.
    Well, that's one more way we're different from the Brits. We use that all the time. 3 feet 6 inches is interchangeable with 3.5 feet here.

Quote Originally Posted by Nockian View Post
    Cool, how did you do that ? My apple keypad doesn't have that option-at least I don't think it has.
    I just looked it up and copied it.

Well, that's one more way we're different from the Brits. We use that all the time. 3 feet 6 inches is interchangeable with 3.5 feet here.

I just looked it up and copied it.
    We could use 3.5 feet, it was that the OP didn't state it, he wrote 1.25 plates, which in the vile metric system is 1.25Kg and is the only thing we can buy these days. I'm still converting much of the metric to imperial so that it makes sense. Born in the 60s I have no issue sliding between £sd and pence. The metric system is awful and should be junked. I can't work in litres for fuel when virtually my entire life it has been mpg.

It's just an image then, rather than an actual fraction on your keyboard. It would be useful to have on.

Quote Originally Posted by David McClelland View Post
    If you have 2.5 lb plates you can rearrange reps to progress. For example, if your bench press is 200x5x3 (repsxsets), on next bench press day you'd go 205x3x5. Next bench press day do the same weight but you can now do it at 205x5x3. It's basically like going up 2.5 lbs every session.

And for the record, if it were me and I had to start progressing less than 2 lbs every lift, I'd switch to HLM or some other intermediate programming. Progress will be faster.
    Until you have to micro load on H,L,M

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by OZ-USF-UFGator View Post
    Until you have to micro load on H,L,M
    Very true. I was betting on still having enough "trace novice" left to be progressing on HLM once per week, which is one step down from where I was on NLP.

I've actually changed my mind on programming though. I'm going with a more hypertrophy specific program since that was my goal after exhausting novice level and building a strong base.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123