starting strength gym
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hypertension and Lifestyle Factors

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Arlene Dukes View Post
    Nice video! In addition to this, I think hypertension is all about energy management as well. My mom was diagnosed with hypertension and her doctor advised her to plan her day ahead to avoid wasting energy. She was not deprived of doing strenuous work. Her doctor just made sure to orient her with energy management techniques.
    Why does "energy management" affect hypertension?

why am I just seeing this now, a year and some months later?

and where is "down in the dooblely doo"?

Quote Originally Posted by stef View Post
    Jonathon Sullian, MD, PhD, SSC discusses the impact of lifestyle factors including diet and exercise (especially of the strength training variety) on hypertension in this video from Greysteel Strength and Conditioning.

Watch video
    I have had my BP creep up since early 20s. It was 140/90 then but I was working an active job, but no strength training. Then when I was in my 30s, I started noticing a blood pressure that would be changing. I’d measure 160s/90s and then 130s/80s. This kept happening until my 40s when I’d measure 180s/100s. When under stress, it would be up at 200s/130s. All this time my weight would go up/fat belly but overall physique not changing much.

My healthiest was during my mid 30s where deep breaths could get me to 120/80 but I was working p90x (mostly chest and back dvd) and running.

Well, now I’m post kidney cancer surgery and taking calcium channel blocker (double dose of 5mg amlodipine) and bp is under control. I’m starting starting strength so hopefully will be weaned off the meds.

Very good. Doesn’t Dr Sullivan advice for those of us who are prone to hypertension, to watch our calorific intake, fly in the face of starting strengths advice to many of us that we are under weight and need to eat more ?

Quote Originally Posted by Nockian View Post
    Very good. Doesn’t Dr Sullivan advice for those of us who are prone to hypertension, to watch our calorific intake, fly in the face of starting strengths advice to many of us that we are under weight and need to eat more ?
    I think Mr Rippetoe has been quite clear you do the best you can. If you have hypertension that's very different to an underweight guy in his 20s on the nlp.

Quote Originally Posted by vk60187 View Post
    I have had my BP creep up since early 20s. It was 140/90 then but I was working an active job, but no strength training. Then when I was in my 30s, I started noticing a blood pressure that would be changing. I’d measure 160s/90s and then 130s/80s. This kept happening until my 40s when I’d measure 180s/100s. When under stress, it would be up at 200s/130s. All this time my weight would go up/fat belly but overall physique not changing much.

My healthiest was during my mid 30s where deep breaths could get me to 120/80 but I was working p90x (mostly chest and back dvd) and running.

Well, now I’m post kidney cancer surgery and taking calcium channel blocker (double dose of 5mg amlodipine) and bp is under control. I’m starting starting strength so hopefully will be weaned off the meds.
    I have familial high blood pressure and have had numbers like yours. 150/90 was a good day for me. I wrote about this on another thread. I used to train for triathlon, but enjoyed running as my primary hobby. Once I took up strength training, with the help of medication I am able to keep myself around 120/80. I am taking 360mg of Valsartan and 5mg of Amlodipine. You will likely have to stay medicated for most of your life. Don't expect strength training to fix it. That said, I find I am able to maintain consistently healthy blood pressure numbers much easier now that I strength train. Running beats the ever loving shit out of you and is nothing but an inflammatory stressor.

Quote Originally Posted by Sib View Post
    I think Mr Rippetoe has been quite clear you do the best you can. If you have hypertension that's very different to an underweight guy in his 20s on the nlp.
    What’s “the best you can” ? I’ve never heard him advise anything so subjective. I’ve been advised many times that I was under weight and would benefit from putting on a few extra pounds, despite mentioning that extra weight compounded hypertension. What he has made clear is that GOMAD is only suitable for those who are young and seriously underweight, which is all together different from advising those outside that group that they need to put on weight in order to maximise strength. Anyone who dissents from that advice is usually scoffed at and told they are too concerned about their abs. Sully has always made it clear that older people trying to eat their way to strength will only find that it adds to belly fat and nasal hair.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank_B View Post
    I have familial high blood pressure and have had numbers like yours. 150/90 was a good day for me. I wrote about this on another thread. I used to train for triathlon, but enjoyed running as my primary hobby. Once I took up strength training, with the help of medication I am able to keep myself around 120/80. I am taking 360mg of Valsartan and 5mg of Amlodipine. You will likely have to stay medicated for most of your life. Don't expect strength training to fix it. That said, I find I am able to maintain consistently healthy blood pressure numbers much easier now that I strength train. Running beats the ever loving shit out of you and is nothing but an inflammatory stressor.
    Thanks for your reply and information. I too have hypertension in my family but mine seems to be worse than theirs, and none of my siblings have it even with lower activity and higher BMI. Also, the med that I’m taking has already made my blood pressure 120/80 or better. That’s why I’m hoping that the SS training will help me get rid of meds.

Quote Originally Posted by Nockian View Post
    I’ve been advised many times that I was under weight and would benefit from putting on a few extra pounds, despite mentioning that extra weight compounded hypertension.
    Mentioning it does not make it a fact.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Mentioning it does not make it a fact.
    It certainly doesn’t make it a lie.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast