starting strength gym
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hypertension and Lifestyle Factors

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Nockian View Post
    What’s “the best you can” ? I’ve never heard him advise anything so subjective. I’ve been advised many times that I was under weight and would benefit from putting on a few extra pounds, despite mentioning that extra weight compounded hypertension. What he has made clear is that GOMAD is only suitable for those who are young and seriously underweight, which is all together different from advising those outside that group that they need to put on weight in order to maximise strength. Anyone who dissents from that advice is usually scoffed at and told they are too concerned about their abs. Sully has always made it clear that older people trying to eat their way to strength will only find that it adds to belly fat and nasal hair.
    What is going on with you

Quote Originally Posted by Sib View Post
    What is going on with you
    You don’t know me, I’m not your friend, so please stop acting as if you are.

It certainly doesn’t make it a lie.
    I’m assuming there’s a difference between getting weight eating donuts and watching TV vs gaining weight due to increased muscle and strength. I believe few will disagree that gaining fat will raise blood pressure. As luck would have it, I am skinny fat. Due to my height, I don’t “look” fat but I do have a fat belly that used to measure 48 in, at 78 in height.

Quote Originally Posted by vk60187 View Post
    I believe few will disagree that gaining fat will raise blood pressure.
    :shrug: It does mine, but then maybe I’m hallucinating, imagining or just lying.

There is some disagreement: https://www.campusreform.org/article?id=12142

“We should be critical of the use of science and the production of knowledge to continue promoting this idea that certain bodies are fit, able, and desirable...is it my fatness that causes my high blood pressure, or is it my experience of weight stigma?" Rashatwar asked. She then connected the science suggesting that obesity is unhealthy to Nazism, saying that "fatphobic" science is “often actually eugenic science....eugenic science is Nazi science.”

However, she then pivoted to support scientific findings as she pondered “intentionally pursuing weight loss,” claiming that “what we’re discovering scientifically is that that’s not possible.”

You don’t know me, I’m not your friend, so please stop acting as if you are.
    OK buddy. Just curious about your need to poke holes in everything. I'm sure you have lots of friends.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    What the

:shrug: It does mine, but then maybe I’m hallucinating, imagining or just lying.
    I don't think you're lying. I recall from another thread that you went from 180lbs to 174lbs in order to keep your BP in check. I don't question that bodyweight is a factor in BP, but I wonder, given that 6lbs isn't a huge change, whether there are other factors influencing your BP that you're not considering.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt James View Post
    I don't think you're lying. I recall from another thread that you went from 180lbs to 174lbs in order to keep your BP in check. I don't question that bodyweight is a factor in BP, but I wonder, given that 6lbs isn't a huge change, whether there are other factors influencing your BP that you're not considering.
    Your welcome to take a guess. If you can find a way in which I can put on weight and not end up back on the tablets I’m all ears. I’ve gone through this three times now and weight gain is the most obvious candidate for the rising BP - I cannot exclude that it might be related factors-but unless someone can figure out what those factors are, then they must accept that this is my situation and advise accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Sib View Post
    OK buddy. Just curious about your need to poke holes in everything. I'm sure you have lots of friends.

I question what I don’t understand. If people find that offensive, tough shit.

I have a tire around my waist and my BP is crazy without the meds. I’m working on getting rid of abdominal fat. Hopefully this will drop the pressure. Another thing I read , is skinny fat people are less healthy vs round fat people. In other words, if the fat is concentrated around abdominal area it’s worse than having fat evenly distributed over the whole body

starting strength coach development program
    Your welcome to take a guess. If you can find a way in which I can put on weight and not end up back on the tablets I’m all ears. I’ve gone through this three times now and weight gain is the most obvious candidate for the rising BP - I cannot exclude that it might be related factors-but unless someone can figure out what those factors are, then they must accept that this is my situation and advise accordingly.

I question what I don’t understand. If people find that offensive, tough shit.
    I'm starting to see why you have blood pressure issues.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast