starting strength gym

Thread: Stalling week 12 into the program, getting back into BJJ

Default Stalling week 12 into the program, getting back into BJJ

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    So as the title states, I'm in week 12, 'Ive stalled / deloaded twice on squat, stalled twice on deadlift, and stalled but didn't deload on overhead press.
    My progression so far is as follows(6'0, 27 yr old male):
    BW: 173lbs -> 185lbs (reading's from yesterday after working out, not sure how much water retention, etc affected it)
    squat(3x5): 90lbs -> 190lbs
    bench(3x5) 70lbs -> 150lbs
    ohp(3x5) 45lbs -> 105lbs
    DL(1x5) 115lbs -> 210lbs

I'm not super satisfied with my progress, but thats on me, earlier in the program, I didn't eat nearly as much as I should have. I've recently stalled on DL and OHP, and had to deload on squat a few weeks back. I'm kind of wondering where I should take my training now. My main hobby is Jiu jitsu(as you could probably tell from my username), and I stopped training in bjj for the last three months to focus on my linear progression, but I really want to get back into it since I told myself I would give myself 3 months to get stronger, which I have, and then lift alongside training BJJ 3-4 times a week. But I feel like I could push my strength gains some more. Should I stick to the LP, but maybe lift twice a week, alongside going to BJJ 3-4 times a week and just make slower progress ? Or should I look into a more intermediate program ?

Quote Originally Posted by bjjlifter View Post
    So as the title states, I'm in week 12, 'Ive stalled / deloaded twice on squat, stalled twice on deadlift, and stalled but didn't deload on overhead press.
    My progression so far is as follows(6'0, 27 yr old male):
    BW: 173lbs -> 185lbs (reading's from yesterday after working out, not sure how much water retention, etc affected it)
    squat(3x5): 90lbs -> 190lbs
    bench(3x5) 70lbs -> 150lbs
    ohp(3x5) 45lbs -> 105lbs
    DL(1x5) 115lbs -> 210lbs

I'm not super satisfied with my progress, but thats on me, earlier in the program, I didn't eat nearly as much as I should have. I've recently stalled on DL and OHP, and had to deload on squat a few weeks back. I'm kind of wondering where I should take my training now. My main hobby is Jiu jitsu(as you could probably tell from my username), and I stopped training in bjj for the last three months to focus on my linear progression, but I really want to get back into it since I told myself I would give myself 3 months to get stronger, which I have, and then lift alongside training BJJ 3-4 times a week. But I feel like I could push my strength gains some more. Should I stick to the LP, but maybe lift twice a week, alongside going to BJJ 3-4 times a week and just make slower progress ? Or should I look into a more intermediate program ?
    How often do you train hard for extended periods of time at Jiu Jitsu? Are we talking 15 minutes at the end of a few classes a week, or several 90 minute open mat sessions where you work your butt off? How technically proficient are you and your typical training partners at jiu jitsu?

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Skillin View Post
    How often do you train hard for extended periods of time at Jiu Jitsu? Are we talking 15 minutes at the end of a few classes a week, or several 90 minute open mat sessions where you work your butt off? How technically proficient are you and your typical training partners at jiu jitsu?
    Usually work the hardest during warm ups at the beginning of class (30 minutes) and then at the end we usually have 6rounds, 6 minutes each of sparring, with drilling technique(30-45min) in between. Usually drilling the technique of the day isn't too taxing unless it's training takedowns. So usually an hour of hard training with a 30-45 minute period of lower intensity. The warm ups are usually calisthenic type exercises consisting of things like push ups(anywhere from 30-50), body weight squats(30-50), jumping jacks, running around the mats, fireman carries, and jiu jitsu specific movements(bear crawls, crab walks, shrimps, etc.). I'm a white belt, trained for over 2 years albeit inconsistently. I go to a pretty well known gym with a lot of high level guys who compete.

Quote Originally Posted by bjjlifter View Post
    Usually work the hardest during warm ups at the beginning of class (30 minutes) and then at the end we usually have 6rounds, 6 minutes each of sparring, with drilling technique(30-45min) in between. Usually drilling the technique of the day isn't too taxing unless it's training takedowns. So usually an hour of hard training with a 30-45 minute period of lower intensity. The warm ups are usually calisthenic type exercises consisting of things like push ups(anywhere from 30-50), body weight squats(30-50), jumping jacks, running around the mats, fireman carries, and jiu jitsu specific movements(bear crawls, crab walks, shrimps, etc.). I'm a white belt, trained for over 2 years albeit inconsistently. I go to a pretty well known gym with a lot of high level guys who compete.
    You're young. If you eat, you can probably continue to run LP concurrently with training teh jitzes, especially if you can keep yourself calm and roll somewhat smoothly. As far as the timing, it's better to be weak from barbell fatigue on the mats (will just force you to be more technical) than weak from jiu jitsu fatigue in the gym (limiting weight on the bar = limiting ability to get strong), so try to plan accordingly.

i find that applies to other sports as well^

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Skillin View Post
    You're young. If you eat, you can probably continue to run LP concurrently with training teh jitzes, especially if you can keep yourself calm and roll somewhat smoothly. As far as the timing, it's better to be weak from barbell fatigue on the mats (will just force you to be more technical) than weak from jiu jitsu fatigue in the gym (limiting weight on the bar = limiting ability to get strong), so try to plan accordingly.
    I see I guess it wouldn't hurt to try doing both for a few weeks, though technically wouldn't this be "not doing the program though" ? I'm currently attempting to hit the following macros: 330g carbs, 210g protein and 150g fat, should I increase all three or change up the ratio ?