starting strength gym

Thread: Squat Stalling LP.

Default Squat Stalling LP.

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hello. I’ve been struggling to add weight to my squats on lp, and I would like to know what I need to do to progress. I’ve read BBTS3rd edition and PP, but I would appreciate some additional input. I missed 325x5x3 on squats for 2 workouts then finally got the third day. But now the same thing is happening with 330. Missed Monday’s and today’s workout. I adding weight to squats 2 times a week, with a light day on Wednesday. I am alternating deadlifts and power cleans. I have reset on squats before around 285. So should I reset again, switch to 5x3, switch to 5rm with 2 back off sets? Should I reduce the deadlifting frequency and add chins and do: Monday: Deadlift, Wednesday: Chinups, Friday: PClean? I just missed 365x5 on deads on Wednesday, but they are not crashing as bad as squats. If you think technique is this issue, here are some videos of today’s squats:
    Set 1(Only got 4 reps):YouTube
    Set 2(Only got 3 reps):YouTube
    Set 3(Only got 3 reps):YouTube
    I’ve been eating at least 3200 calories, and I’ve been sleeping at least 8 hours. I’m 15 years old, around 172lbs, around 17% bodyfat. Any help is extremely appreciated!

Oh and I’m 5’9”

Bobby, it looks like you're off to a good start! However, there are a few things to talk about here.

Your form could use some polishing on the squat. I think it's worth while to take a reset and nail your form down before switching to intermediate programming. Notice the amount of shifting in your pelvis and lower back in these videos. Dive bombing the descent of your squat is the first half of the problem. Lower yourself with more control, keeping all of your musculature extremely tight. Especially your lower back.

That is the other half of your form issue. Try to focus on hard thoracic extension and clamp down hard on a big, deep, breath. A strong conscious extension of your upper back (proud chest) sends a wave of extension down the back, ultimately achieving your goal of a rigid spine.

Another issue (equally important) I see is that you say you could only manage 4, 3, & 3 reps, yet I didn't see you fail any reps; and, it looked like you had at least another one in you in a couple of those videos. Go ham on those last couple reps and really see what you're made of.

Now, I know you're mostly asking about programming so I'll offer my opinion on that too: If you opt to reset and clean up your form, I believe that switching to intermediate programming after your next stall may be a good idea. At your age it could be a good time in your life to grow. It may require more calories to keep up with your metabolism. Eating those calories may extend LP a couple weeks. If that doesn't sound appetizing (), then your recovery resources may dictate weekly progression. More details would help give a more definite answer.

Thanks for the response Mr Colliflower! When you say my lower back is shifting, do you mean that lumbar flexion is occurring. Because if you pause the videos at the bottom of the squats, my low back looks(or maybe I just think in looks) flat not rounded. So is the shifting in my lower back occurring because I might have a naturally high lordotic curve? Thanks again for your help!

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby32 View Post
    Thanks for the response Mr Colliflower! When you say my lower back is shifting, do you mean that lumbar flexion is occurring.
    Yes. The spine is actively bending forward.

Because if you pause the videos at the bottom of the squats, my low back looks(or maybe I just think in looks) flat not rounded.
    I agree, you may be in an anatomically OK position at the bottom, but the fact that your spine is bending under load is the concern. For two reasons. One, any movement in the spine (especially under load) presents opportunity for injury. And two, more related to your OP, movement in the spine indicates a lack of tightness or control through the movement. This lack of coordination may artificially halt progress.

So is the shifting in my lower back occurring because I might have a naturally high lordotic curve? Thanks again for your help!
    Not necessarily. Your potentially over extended lower back at the top position of your squat might be due to your naturally high lordotic curve, though.

Ideally, we'd like to see a little more lumbar extension at the bottom of the squat (and all throughout the movement, obviously).

Here is today’s squat. Took a Reset as you advised. This is 295x5x5. Tried my hardest to keep my lower back tight. On the third set, I really focused on pushing my knees out, and that seemed to improve my lower back more.
    Set 1:YouTube
    Set 2:YouTube
    Set 3:YouTube

Also should I do the light squat day on Wednesday, even though I reset?

starting strength coach development program
    Hey Bobby,

There isn't much difference here. It's hard to tell, but you may be over-extending the low back at the top. I'd really focus on bracing your abdominal and trying to control the pelvic tilt that way.

Yes, continue with light squats on Wednesday and keep squatting to 5 until you miss a rep.