starting strength gym

Thread: Lifting shoes

Default Lifting shoes

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Rip,

I was reading over Basic Barbell Training the other night and came across the section on shoes. I understand that weightlifting shoes provide better support than say, running shoes, but I was wondering where Chuck Taylor's fit into that argument. I've heard that a lot of "old school" guys use them because the sole isn't soft at all, and because the high tops provide ankle support. From what I read, you're a pretty adamant supporter of weighlifting shoes; I was just wondering if you'd be able to explain why weightlifting shoes are better than Chucks.

1. Arch support is better in WL shoes than chucks
    2. Heel lift provided by WL shoes is ideal for most lifters
    3. You won't need a lot of "ankle support" doing an LP
    4. Do not buy Romaleo 3's the tongue tears (My experience/bias)

This is discussed at length in the book, which you can get on amazon for next to nothing.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Benjamin View Post
    1. Arch support is better in WL shoes than chucks
    2. Heel lift provided by WL shoes is ideal for most lifters
    3. You won't need a lot of "ankle support" doing an LP
    4. Do not buy Romaleo 3's the tongue tears (My experience/bias)
    ok but many people arent able to pay 100$ plus for WL shoes. could someone suggest other choices without being glib?ty

Quote Originally Posted by cheesedips View Post
    ok but many people arent able to pay 100$ plus for WL shoes. could someone suggest other choices without being glib?ty
    Do you have work boots? They're usually the best non-lifting shoe for lifting. But at the risk of being accused of being glib: $100 is a small investment. Think about what people pay for a set of golf clubs compared to an adequate pair of lifting shoes, a decent belt, a couple ounces of chalk, and a sandwich-sized tupperware to carry it in.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by cheesedips View Post
    They are a lot less than that. If you buy one of the well known brands they will be expensive, I bought a cheap pair from Amazon which look like brand clones -they might well be just a rebrand of more expensive shoes for around £30, which is around $40. Worth getting them as they are far more stable and supportive and don't bleed power like trainers and give a bit of a heel which is helpful for squats/press.