starting strength gym

Thread: at age 53, what is a reasonable expected progress going to be?

Default at age 53, what is a reasonable expected progress going to be?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I am doing SS for 3 years now, 2 - 3 times a week.

Body weight went initially down a bit but now I am back where I was before SS, at 265lbs, at 6 feet height. I am not obese but a bit fat with much damage at the belly. Wide shoulders.

Currently, squat is 400lbs, press 190lbs, bench press 265lbs, deadlift 445lbs

My plan is to work until I die, so I see SS as my investment into that venture. Life insurance statistics say that 50% of my age peers with the same life style will become at least 88 years old.

In one of your Youtube interviews you have said that people in my age could still expect PRs in their 60ies.

So what will be my goal for the next 16 years? Squat 600lbs, press 300lbs, bench press 400lbs, and deadlift 660lbs, at age 69?

Seriously.

I don't think it makes much sense to plan your training 10 years out, no matter what your age. Novices plan 48 hours in advance. Intermediates maybe a week or a month in advance. Advanced lifters might plan several months in advance.

You're already strong enough to handle anything that comes up in a normal life. How much stronger you get going forward depends on how much you're willing to suffer, and how well you can avoid injury.