starting strength gym

Thread: Sudden Loss In Strength

Default Sudden Loss In Strength

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hey Rip. After stalling on squats and deads I did a reset of 50lbs. Even the first workout on the reset felt like a maximal load. It has been 3 weeks and I can't even hit my old working weights for 1 rep. What's the problem?? It's driving me insane. My weight is going up, I usually get 7-8 hours of sleep a night (needs to be a little better). I even took a week off. When I came back it's the same thing. Weak. The only thing I can think of is that my legs have felt a lot tighter lately, and I'm inflexible. Could this be it?

Maybe you're sick. Your posting history is interesting.

Hm hopefully it is something like that. How is it interesting haha?

You haven't done the program haha. And you're stuck again. Do the program.

When I did my reset I started doing the program. I wasn't before the reset though.

Sudden, arbitrary losses in strength can be indicative of a neurodegenerative or myopathic disease process, both of which would be extraordinarily rare in someone your age. It is, however, extraordinarily common for someone to bastardize a training program, put their own spin on the program, and then complain or question why they didn't make the expected progress. Both of these situations have very grim prognoses.

You either need a work up by a medical professional, or, you need to listen to a Doctor of Strength and do as you are told, exactly as you are told, and stop making your own modifications to the program. Once you have made it to the point where you can squat and deadlift 3 x your bodyweight, then it would be reasonable to assume you know enough about training to make your own additions or changes to your programming.

When I'm trainng I watch the youngsters pushing to get maximum single reps with squats. I've never seen any of them get close to depth. They do partials. Then their mates push them to do a set of 3-5 with a weight slightly lower, which they still do at partial depth, to the point where they are grinding the last rep out but hardly doing much more than straightening their legs a bit.

Deloading makes you aware that you haven't actually been squatting and it becomes quickly obvious that the movement needs to be relearned completely before being able to advance. Most of the young 'uns don't like doing that too much as all their mates then laugh at their relatively puny squats. What's more, most of them are doing everything they can to get 'abs' and are like match sticks. Once the numbers of reps increases, with proper form, then guess what happens to energy needs and then what happens to progress-it stops.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Nockian View Post
    When I'm trainng I watch the youngsters pushing to get maximum single reps with squats. I've never seen any of them get close to depth. They do partials. Then their mates push them to do a set of 3-5 with a weight slightly lower, which they still do at partial depth, to the point where they are grinding the last rep out but hardly doing much more than straightening their legs a bit.

Deloading makes you aware that you haven't actually been squatting and it becomes quickly obvious that the movement needs to be relearned completely before being able to advance. Most of the young 'uns don't like doing that too much as all their mates then laugh at their relatively puny squats. What's more, most of them are doing everything they can to get 'abs' and are like match sticks. Once the numbers of reps increases, with proper form, then guess what happens to energy needs and then what happens to progress-it stops.
    I squatted to depth both before and after my reset though. Hip crease below knees. For some reason most of my strength was back yesterday. I did 255 3x5 without too much difficulty. Maybe I just had a small injury that was slowing me down for awhile.