starting strength gym

Thread: SS or Texas Method

Default SS or Texas Method

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I’m sure this has been asked a bunch of times, in fact I’ve read all the one so couldfind but none seemed the same as my situation.

I’ve been lifting on and off for years. Usually for 6 months or so then something comes up I take a few months off then get back to it. It’s always been bodybuilding routines also. Recently I’ve gotten things in line to where I’m finally able to consistently go to the gym. I ran Steve Shaw’s Powerbuilding program for about 3 months. With this program my lifts have gotten to 225x5 Bench, 260x1 Squat, and 315x2 deadlift. I think it’s easy to tell which one I focused on the most in the past mainly do to my work. I’ve been running the Texas Method for about 3 weeks now and can’t stop thinking maybe I should go and run SS for 6 months before going back to the Texas Method. My issue is I think with the on and off lifting of the past I’m worried I’ve worked past my “novice” effect and wouldn’t be able to utilize SS how it should be with session to session increases. I’m 25 about 215 with some extra fluff. Thank you to any advice in advance

You might be able to get a little more mileage out of a SSLP but will likely have to turn to intermediate programming soon anyway. If your making progress with TM, keep going. It'll get tough enough soon anyway.

at 25 and 215, you really are probably going to be able to get some big progress out of running an LP. Maybe not 6 months' worth, but very likely significant. I'd start the LP at your last volume weights + 5 lbs for each exercise.

I appreciate the advice guys. I think between what the two of you said I’m going to stick it out with the Texas Method. It’s already starting to feel heavy after 3 weeks. Hopefully the progress continues. I just don’t think I can add 5 pounds to my lifts every other day. Adding 5 a week is starting to add up