starting strength gym

Thread: A Hierarchy of Variables in Strength Training

Default A Hierarchy of Variables in Strength Training

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    by Andrew Lewis

The more frivolous the subject, the more fervently people will argue about it. This is especially true about fitness. People get so bogged down in the details that they miss the important overarching concepts – the forest for the trees...The foundation of training must be correct before digging deeper into the details.

Read article

I appreciate the clarity of the hierarchy and supporting rationale. I think this will be very useful to me. Thanks, Andrew!

I'm glad you liked it. The hierarchy took some time to make, but I think it's correct.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

Andrew, I really liked this article. The 10 variables, the Tiers, and the explanations were excellent, and the guidance is sensible and very clear.

Your web site is awesome, too, BTW. It's effective and promotional, but it's all truth. (And I had to laugh at the comprehensive guide and flow chart for "Which whey powder flavor you should buy"... Haha, more truth!)

Heh. Thank you so much. I appreciate it.

It's really true though. I've tried a lot of whey powder and everything but chocolate, vanilla, and peanut butter taste bad. Usually too sweet.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.

Excellent article, Andrew. Thank you!

Just one quibble, and that's with your proposed warmup scheme. It seems to me that once one is beyond 225# on their working set of a lift that all warmup increments should be made with just the major plates: 45s and 25s. Seems an unnecessary use of time and thought to figure out even-increment jumps and then adding minor plates (10s, 5s, and even 2.5s) to match those increments. Therefore:
    • bar x5x2
    • 95x5 (I actually skip this one altogether on squats, deads, and bench, doing 5 reps at 135 to make sure I'm warmed up.)
    • 135x3
    • 185x2
    • 225x1
    • 275x1
    • 315x1
    • etc x1

(And yes, I realize the irony of my quibbling about a detail when you are talking about majoring on the majors and not getting lost in the details. We certainly agree on the importance of adequate but not overwrought warmups!)

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by BastiatBB View Post
    Excellent article, Andrew. Thank you!

Just one quibble, and that's with your proposed warmup scheme. It seems to me that once one is beyond 225# on their working set of a lift that all warmup increments should be made with just the major plates: 45s and 25s. Seems an unnecessary use of time and thought to figure out even-increment jumps and then adding minor plates (10s, 5s, and even 2.5s) to match those increments. Therefore:
    • bar x5x2
    • 95x5 (I actually skip this one altogether on squats, deads, and bench, doing 5 reps at 135 to make sure I'm warmed up.)
    • 135x3
    • 185x2
    • 225x1
    • 275x1
    • 315x1
    • etc x1
    I don't think this would warm you up enough if you're anywhere north of 275lb.
    However, as I said in the article, the warm up scheme from SS:BBT is a starting place. If you find something that works better, that's fine. Do that.

All of my clients and myself basically just do 5, 5, 5, 3, 2 except for deadlifts after squats.
    Maybe I'll add a heavy single at the end, then give them a two minute rest.

Quote Originally Posted by BastiatBB View Post
    (And yes, I realize the irony of my quibbling about a detail when you are talking about majoring on the majors and not getting lost in the details. We certainly agree on the importance of adequate but not overwrought warmups!)
    Ironic indeed.