starting strength gym

Thread: Home gym questions

Default Home gym questions

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi rip,

I love your work. Your books are a great read and your youtube has been very helpful. Love your no bs approach.

I had a few questions about my home gym:
    1. How important is a good bar? I bought a cheap one my wife can use... but it is only 25mm, 15kg, 6.5 foot, has passive knurl and no centre knurl. When i check my 1rm i struggle to grip it. Do i upgrade? To what? I want to be a power lifter. Ive been training for 9 months so far.

2. Squatting in squat rack. I really wanted a power rack but my garage wouldnt fit one so went for squat rack. Ive never failed a rep because im too afraid to go heavy... or dont complete my set. Any advice?
    Also, ive found the constant adjusting/rotating the bar in the rack slot is eating away the metal and making a groove? Is this to be expected. Should i be concerned about life of rack

3. Im tall, 6'5, or 195cm. I cant press standing up in my garage. Ok to sit on bench and do it?

4. My garage has a beer fridge... should i remove it from my place of workout immediately? Hard not to drink some beer between sets

Thanks

Hey mate

Glad to hear you want to be a powerlifter!

A good bar is suuuuuuuper important, that 15kg bar will not serve you very long at all.
    Go for a Rogue Ohio Power Bar or a Rogue B&R bar they are both great bars. You need the centre knurl for squatting for sure.

Did you look at the fold out Rogue power racks or their smaller half racks? Some of them are nice and short and compact and perfect for what you're doing. It sounds like the squat rack you have isn't great, the J-Hooks on a good rack won't wear like that when racking a bar.

Can you walk the press out of your garage?

Keep the beer fridge, I have the same in my garage fridge - but I am also in Australia, an island of drunks and animals that want to kill us.

Hope that helps!

Cheers!
    Joel