starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Texas Method or Starting Strength

Default Texas Method or Starting Strength

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hello Mr. Rippetoe, I purchased your basic barbell training book years ago. I love it! Thank you. I have been working out using your techniques for a few years now (altho not as diligently as I’d like) and I have 2 questions I was hoping you could help me with. First, I am 42 years old. Decent shape: run 3 miles in 26’30”, bench 315 max, curl 135# barbell, curl 80# dumbbells, BB military press 165#, can squat about 200# (don’t squat much cuz knees starting to hurt as I get older), 6’-2” tall, and 230#. So my questions are: 1. Should I squat if my knees are starting to hurt me? 2. Given the above, would you classify me as a novice or intermediate? (I ask because I want to know if I should follow basic barbell training or Texas method? And what point do I start the Texas Method?

1) if you were working out with SS techniques, you wouldn't have a 315 bench to a 200 squat.
    2) the Texas method is not for people in their 40s. Do not use it. Perhaps run old man Texas method. Before considering that, however,
    3) with a 200 lb squat, it's pretty dang unlikely you are an intermediate lifter (though you may be on your bench and press). If 200 lb squats are hurting your knees such that you are not squatting much, you're probably squatting wrong. Therefore,
    4) get a coach. startingstrengthonlinecoaching.com or SSCA : Coaching
    5) stop running until you've finished your LP
    Last edited by Charles Jenkins; 06-19-2018 at 02:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Torresleoncio View Post
    Given the above, would you classify me as a novice or intermediate?
    Whether you are a Novice or Intermediate has nothing to do with the absolute weight you can move on a lift. It is about the rate of adaptation. Novices add 5 lbs to their lifts each workout; Intermediates can add 5 lbs to their lifts each week.

Try the Starting Strength Novice Program and see if you make any progress (i.e., if you can add 5 lbs to your lifts each workout). You may have to microload the Bench and the Press.

You may also have to do a mix. Your squat, for instance, may be at a Novice level of progression, while your Bench/Press may need to be more Intermediate style.

this is probably a troll post

...referring to the OP

Quote Originally Posted by Fulcrum View Post
    this is probably a troll post
    You are probably correct.

I guess I didn’t focus on doing enough squats. My knees always bothered me. So that’s probably on me for not doing the correct program. That said, I ALWAYS enjoyed everything else. Probably like most guys. I will try the mixed method like you suggest. That said, if you’re saying I am too old for Texas method what should I be doing in your opinion?

Also, I wouldn’t mind getting a coach. I’ll check that link. Thanks!

So I am able to bench 315. That being the case, what should I theoretically be able ro squat?

starting strength coach development program
    Just checked the link. Are there coaches who I could contact about in person training? I am in Westchester County, NY. One last question, are you guys SS coaches? What are your credentials?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast