starting strength gym

Thread: Stretching frequency

Default Stretching frequency

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I am a 35 year old desk jockey who cannot get into the low bar squat position without my palms parallel to the floor. This results in painful elbows and wrists which worsesen as the weight increases. To increase my flexibility, I am using Horn's low bar stretch.

Is there a rest and recovery cycle for stretching? How often should stretches be performed in order to improve my shoulder flexibility? Is twice a day too much? If it is productive, I’d rather spend more time stretching in order to get myself in proper position and cut down on the inflammation in my elbows and wrists. Thank you for your time and wisdom.

You need to not dismiss the possibility that you are doing something wrong. Review Rip's low-bar position video (in the videos section). Post a pic of where you are putting the bar. See a coach, if necessary. I doubt desk jockey = so inflexible that you can't attain the correct position, since I am one.

As far as stretching goes, just do the low bar stretch, as recommended in the video, each time you squat. All else being correct, this will sort itself out in a few weeks.
    Last edited by Steve Hill; 06-25-2018 at 07:33 AM.

I might add that in addition to The Paul Horn Stretch, simply hanging from the pull up bar multiple times a day have really helped my shoulders.

Quote Originally Posted by Espen Lund View Post
    I might add that in addition to The Paul Horn Stretch, simply hanging from the pull up bar multiple times a day have really helped my shoulders.
    Shoulder dislocations with a broomstick helped me the first time.

Then again, so did learning to stick my chest out and pulling my shoulder blades together. If you're a long-term desk jockey, you've likely trained yourself to be comfortable in thoracic spinal flexion, so it may be difficult for you to know exactly how to get your chest up at first.

Quote Originally Posted by Espen Lund View Post
    I 2nd this... Let gravity do the work for you

starting strength coach development program
    I had the same problem after an extended lay off. My right shoulder hurt so much that I couldn't get into position. I started with doing the Paul Horn stretch and hanging from a pullup bar and the problem
    went away after a few weeks.