starting strength gym

Thread: DL grip failing prematurely in LP

Default DL grip failing prematurely in LP

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hello, coaches.

This is the second time in a row that my DL grip fails at a very low number: 112,5 kilos. I could lock out my DL anyway last Monday with 107,5 kilos, but I couldn't do it today and dropped the bar on the 5th rep. I think it may be have anything to do with my short fingers / big palm.

Should I reset my DL? Continue the LP and hope my grip gets better? Go to 2 sets or 3 (I think i can grip the first 3 reps fine)? Use straps?

Any help is appreciated.

Data:
    Male, 35 years old
    100 kg body weight
    Doing Novice LP, phase 2 for 3 weeks (started again due to a long, unavoidable absence from the gym)
    Using 5 kilos jump in DL, 5-6 minute rest time between last warm up set and the work set
    I use BOTH mixed grip and hook grip
    Power Cleans (50 kilos with 2,5 kilos jump) are hard, probably because I'm still learning the technique; the rest of the lifts are improving easily (Squat 85 kilos with 2,5 kilos jump; Bench 57,5 kilos with 2,5 kilos jump, Overhead press 37,5 kilos with 1,5 kilos jump)

Things to consider:
    Size of the bar (diameter) can have an affect
    What you do with your hands for work / other activities. Hands are very susceptible to fatigue.
    Try a longer rest.
    Squeeze the bar hard at the start of each rep. Most people don't think to do this.

As to the size of your hands, can't see them from here, and pics are useless. If you must, you will have to strap.

Are you using chalk?

Quote Originally Posted by JD Keip View Post
    Are you using chalk?
    Yes.

My double overhand failed sooner than that on my LP and I can now lock out in excess of 135kg with double overhand no problem. All I did was switch to the hook for the work sets; as you get stronger your grip will catch up.

Quote Originally Posted by Antonio de Blas View Post
    Hello, coaches.

This is the second time in a row that my DL grip fails at a very low number: 112,5 kilos. I could lock out my DL anyway last Monday with 107,5 kilos, but I couldn't do it today and dropped the bar on the 5th rep. I think it may be have anything to do with my short fingers / big palm.

Should I reset my DL? Continue the LP and hope my grip gets better? Go to 2 sets or 3 (I think i can grip the first 3 reps fine)? Use straps?

Any help is appreciated.
    I am experiencing the same thing. My grip started failing at about 265 pounds. I immediately thought that this was not supposed to be happening. I tried focusing on really squeezing the bar, which helped a bit, but not enough. Neither did the hook grip. The bar would start to slip out during my fourth and fifth rep pretty consistently. With chalk, of course. Later, heavier weights didn't even want to come off the ground. That made me pretty mad, so I tried doing a set with straps, just to test whether it was all in the grip. It was.

I read all the relevant material I could find, but the issue doesn't seem to be very common. I still don't really know why it's happening. My hands are about average size (although, similar to you, my fingers are probably shorter and palms bigger) and I haven't noticed grip problems anywhere else. But, since the rest of my body couldpull more, I figured it isn't worth to halt all that progress just because of my grip being weak. I've been doing my work sets with straps since, while trying to strengthen the grip with warm-up and other exercises. Not ideal, but probably the best (least worst) option if you want to keep doing the program.

I used the straps yesterday in my 117,5 kilos DL. The bar was flying!

All I did was switch to the hook for the work sets
    I used hook grip and mixed grip to no avail.

I guess my grip will get stronger eventually, but I don't want it to interfere with my strength gains.

starting strength coach development program
    Not an SSC but I do have very small hands and dealt with this. How long did you stick with the hook grip? My DOH quit at 205 and I couldn’t get my back set with a mixed grip. And the hook hurt! My deadlift LP ended at 265 I think because of this grip issue. After about a month I was finally able to hook without pain, but I thought about quitting deadlifting entirely before that happened. One of the big keys was to make sure to chalk my thumb where the hook goes in, not just your palm. More stable grip and it’ll hurt less after doing that. The hook won’t feel right the first time you try it but don’t give up on it!