starting strength gym

Thread: Your First Two Weeks Strength Training: What to Expect

Default Your First Two Weeks Strength Training: What to Expect

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    by Mark Rippetoe

So you've finally decided to Be Somebody and start a strength training program. Not a machine-based health spa/corporate gym exercise plan with leg extensions, treadmills, and three-pound dumbbells, but real strength training involving barbells, basic full range of motion movements, and regular incremental increases in load that drive an actual increase in strength.

Read article

I've just completed 2 weeks of the program and love it.
    Can't wait to see my progress improve further over the next 2 weeks.

Sorry to dig this one up from the grave...

I found this article several weeks ago and it really piqued my interest.

15 years of working a desk and basically no physical activity was starting to express itself as recurrent episodes of back soreness and starting to do things like tweak my shoulders during innocuous tasks. Primarily though I was getting really worried about my posture with a default posterior pelvic tilt and rounded back. At 41 I feared I had a lot of years ahead with a body that was wanting to curl up like a pretzel and the limitations that would bring with it. I didn't want to be a dad who wouldn't get up and play physical games with his kids because his body would get hurt.

So I started out with a stretching regime about a year ago - it helped with general soreness and seemed to reduce the amount of back soreness but no real improvements in posture. In November 2019 I got a rowing machine (I bought into the low-impact, full body workout pitch) and started using that ~3 x a week. This made a big difference to my levels of back soreness, particularly after activities, like gardening that had been causing me grief. Still no real improvements in my posture though.

Any-hoo I got the kindle version of Starting Strength after finding this article, tracked down some equipment and I'm almost at the end of my third week of following the program. My starting weights were laughably low - A combination of being weak and fear of injury but I figure they will get up there in due course following the program. I have had a few abortive "get fit" rush of blood to the head experiences over the years but have generally ended up hurting myself and giving up - so I am determined not to do that again.

So far my experience has been exactly as per the article, which is both encouraging and reassuring. The improvement to my posture (still a long way to go) has been amazing. All the time I wasted thinking I had to stretch out, when what I really needed to do was start getting the atrophied posterior chain stronger to provide a counter force to the anterior muscle groups.

So I'll be continuing on the NLP and I'm excited to see where it takes me. I just wanted to note it was this article that got me interested enough to research more into Starting Strength and get off the couch. The program is simple enough to digest, as a concept and observable results are near instantaneous. For those of us who work a desk job I really think the improvement in posture is worth it's weight in gold - I'm sure there will be a host of tangible benefits that become obvious as I get stronger on the program but I can't overstate what a difference finally being able to see a future where I'm not some kind of hunchback has made to my outlook these past few weeks.