starting strength gym
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Stroke

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    as a linguist, I appreciate the more precise nature of pinyin and Wade-Giles.
    misterponeytail
    You are a scholar, and i am just a digger, so i defer to you on the value of pinyin.

Quote Originally Posted by Fiddler View Post
    Had a stroke three weeks ago...Fortunately, the consequences are not grave, and initial recovery was substantial and quick. I am walking and talking OK, approaching normalcy. No blindness or paralysis.
    I would like to join the list of those wishing you as complete a recovery as possible.
    Stay strong.

IPB

best wishes on a full recovery!

Thanks for the kind wishes!

Default "The Hospital Is Not Your Friend

My lady friend is a former nurse. She says a doctor she worked for says "The hospital is not your friend". It tends to de-condition you worse than just about anything you can do, and you need about three days of activity for every day's forced inactivity in the hospital in order to recover normal basic muscle tone and strength. After spending a week in the hospital because of a stroke, I spent a good part of the last three weeks cleaning out an old, run-down house, trying to get it ready to rehab. Been hauling stuff up and down stairs, shoveling sweeping, carrying, packing boxes, moving furniture, etc. My brother and I filled two 10-yard dumpsters with trash, working mostly in mid-90s heat and high humidity, literally wringing wet with sweat most of the day. At first, I was weak as a kitten, huffing and puffing, having to sit down a lot, sweating like a fountain. After three weeks of "conditioning', I am standing up straight, feeling my muscles. Not very strong, but at least capable of a decent day's work, and better coordinated, with good balance, and lost a few lbs too. Concentration is better as well. Hard, hot work is not much fun, but it helps with recovery and lets you sleep better. Sure is a lot better than layin' around doing nothing. Not ready to start training with weights again- doc says hold off a bit- and I don't have transport (damned inconvenient not being allowed to drive by the State (will have that rectified in a week or so, I hope.)

Speaking of Hard Work, This stroke slowed me down just a little. Some of my skills as a luthier are slowed down a bit, as is my speech at times, as well as short term memory. The neuro I saw on my last visit said he is going to assign me to a program that is going to focus on just those deficiencies. He said it will wear my ass out, but since I am interested in remedying those deficiencies, however minor, even though I could probably ignore them and learn to "get along" with them, he's going to put me in the program. Guess I never was one to leave "well enough alone. My aim is to end up better than where I started, and hopefully when I can start training again, stronger than my earlier PRs.

Sounds like a call for "mental linear progression". Not books, but things like flashcards come to mind. I've been thinking about that for another reason. There is a resource called "sharp brains" that is geared towards this but seems more commercial than pragmatic. Good luck with the comeback, you can do it!

starting strength coach development program
    If "beginning is half done", then you're half done!
    Good job! Rehabbing a house is pretty hard core, been there, done that. Pace yourself. That can be like a constant farmer's walk.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234